Associate Scientist, Analytical Ops (Potency)
United States - California - Oceanside
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job DescriptionAssociate Scientist, Analytical Ops (Potency)Role and Responsibilities:
This Associate Scientist role reports into a Potency and Functional Characterization group, supporting the Biologics Analytical Operations department at Gilead Oceanside. This position will involve development of new potency methods suitable for QC testing, as well as participation in method validations and transfers to external contract laboratories. This is a highly collaborative environment where willingness and ability to communicate and work effectively with individuals across various project teams is essential.Specific Responsibilities and skills for position
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Under general supervision, develop and optimize new assays to define GMP potency platforms.
- Contribute to the validation and/or method transfers of potency assays for early, late phase, and commercial biologics programs.
- Characterize, produce and maintain critical reagents and cell lines used in potency assays, including optimization and preparation of large-scale ready-to-use cell banks.
- Prepare test methods, validation protocols and reports.
- Participate in routine sample testing for process development and compatibility studies.
- Participate in structure-activity relationship work as part of a team to characterize the molecule, degradation pathways and define critical quality attributes in a phase appropriate context.
- Identifies and deploys orthogonal characterization methods to aid in identifying critical quality attributes.
- Independently champion technology development projects
- Understanding of Bioassay method development (ELISA, Receptor Binding, Flow Cytometry, and Cell-based) for early and late stage biotherapeutics is required
- Demonstrate hands-on experimental responsibilities in the laboratory for potency method development, testing, and cell culture.
- The applicant should be an effective communicator of ideas, project goals and results to team members across cross-functional roles/departments
- Ability to proactively identify issues and develop solutions in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
- Self-motivated and organized, familiar with the relevant literature, and enjoy scientific investigation and thinking
- Ability exercise considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments, and should be an effective communicator of ideas, project goals, and results to team members across cross-functional roles/departments.
- 8+ years of experience with a BA or BS degree in Chemistry or Biology.
- 6+ years of experience with MS degree in Chemistry or Biology.
If this is not the right move for you now but remain interested in a career at Gilead Sciences please connect with us via our talent community: https://gilead.avature.net/GileadAbout Gilead:
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.