Associate Director, Data Science
United States - New Jersey - Morris PlainsUnited States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.
As Associate Director, Data Science
, you would start as an individual contributor reporting to Director, Marketing Sciences. Based in NJ/CA; you would be responsible for standing up the capability of integrated HCP, patient journey and predictive sciences at scale for the US market across TAs. The person will work closely with integrated insights, commercial ops, patient engagement and omni channel analytics leads. Hands on functional expertise and highly collaborative mindset required. Responsibilities:
- Be a partner in driving the industrialization of predictive sciences to help understand the patient journey and triggers robustly for the US (primarily Oncology and Virology) markets
- Bring thought leadership and thorough understanding of statistics, primarily predictive algorithms & methodologies, to construct robust propensity models for impactful commercial use
- Create data science products that can be refreshed, reproduced and replicated
- Be a hands-on leader who knows how to code and debug
- Partner with the data office to create ARDs for a broad use case
- Refresh and measure propensity models for impact
- Create advanced visualization to demystify complexity and to make insights actionable
- Partner with global teams to cross-pollinate ideas and replicate successful models from other countries and vice versa
- Foster a culture of measurement and impact and incorporate feedback to continuously improve model performance
- Thorough understanding of datasets including their strengths and limitations such as capture rate, projections and acceptable error ranges for different therapeutic spaces
- Create patient journeys that are descriptive, predictive and prescriptive, based on the brand's strategic objectives
- Excellent communication and ability to abstract backend complexity where it is not needed
Bachelor's Degree and Ten Years' Experience
Masters' Degree and Eight Years' Experience
PhD and Two Years' ExperiencePreferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with standard pharma and consumer data types and sources such as patient claims, Xponent, Plantrak, sales, activity
- Expertise in commonly used pharma datasets such as IQVIA, Symphony, Komodo claims, Optum, Definitive health, Health Verity, EMR/HER
- Expertise in Python including commonly used data science libraries such as numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, seaborn, networkx, etc.
- Expertise in ML algorithms such as RNN, CNN, Tree-based algorithms (RF, XGB, LightGBM), SMOTE, etc.
- Familiarity with MLOps solutions / providers
- Expertise in cloud-based technologies and tools such
- Experience in building, implementing and using AI-based solutions with proven business impact
- Demonstrated product mindset
- Familiarity with product management principles
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong team player. Inclusive, objective, cross-functional, team member with a positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Understanding of emerging data science capabilities (fields, methodologies, algorithms, etc.) and potential application in pharma/health care
- Masters degree in a quantitative field with at least 6 years of relevant data science/analytics experience OR Undergraduate degree in a quantitative field with at least 8 years of relevant data science/analytics experience
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment. He/She/They will have a strong drive to meet and exceed goals, even under adverse circumstances, and is willing to take ownership of problems and make decisions in order to move forward. The candidate will be adept at clearly defining objectives and priorities and establishing appropriate milestones through a strong understanding of the market and innovative approaches. He/She/They will assign accountability and incorporate disciplined processes to ensure success and nimbly handle ‘derailments' with contingency plans and coordination.Team leadership.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to build, develop, and motivate a team as evidenced by effective hiring, coaching, and mentoring of direct reports. Additionally, this individual will have a track record of successfully leveraging diversity of thought to achieve the highest level of results. The ideal candidate will develop an inclusive culture comfortable with challenging current market paradigms to achieve and exceed goals. He/She/They will also have constructed an appropriate succession plan and process.Strategic Orientation.
The successful candidate will be able to articulate evolving priorities for the business, identify market opportunities and adapt short-term plans. This includes the ability to strategically assess customer needs and build/execute specific, segmented strategies to win business across a diverse set of customers. The successful candidate will have passion for, and success in, developing commercial strategies that have measurable business impact.Collaboration and Influence.
The qualified candidate must be able to influence without ownership, which they will do by demonstrating competence and confidence, being personally accessible and likable, being a good listener, use fact-based persuasion, passion, and persistence as appropriate to the audience and issue at stake. Gaining the support and involvement of key internal constituencies will be critical to success, as will influencing those important constituencies external to the company. The successful candidate must therefore have excellent skills at influencing
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.