We are a team of 85 talented and driven people working passionately and collaboratively to develop a robust pipeline of innovative antibody-based therapies for patients with unmet needs. Our proprietary technology platform powered by our state-of-the-art laboratory enables the design and engineering of precision antibody-based product candidates that specifically bind to, and modulate, key disease targets for the treatment of patients with kidney diseases and other hard-to-treat diseases. Visterra is a subsidiary of Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. of Japan. As a member of the Otsuka family of companies, we have the advantage of being a dynamic, nimble, innovative organization where you can make direct, meaningful impacts while benefitting from the support, stability, and long-term perspective of a 100-year-old global company.
Visterra, Inc., is seeking a highly motivated Associate Scientist with research experience in molecular biology, immunology, or related field to join Visterra’s Experimental Platform research team to help develop innovative experimental platform methods and technologies that support our antibody-based drug discovery programs. Reporting to the Senior Director, Research, this individual will play a key technical role in the development, execution and data analysis of multimodal single cell methods and related technologies for translational research applications, including a deeper understanding of candidate drug mechanisms, disease biology and new potential therapeutic targets. The ideal candidate should have a B.S. or M.S. degree in biology, immunology, or related field with a minimum of 6 or 3 years, respectively, post-degree research experience, preferably in an industry setting. The successful candidate will be a collaborative team player, a critical thinker and clear communicator.
This is a full-time laboratory-based position at Visterra’s facility in Waltham, MA.
- Assist in the development and enhancement of Visterra’s multimodal single cell platform, including scRNA-seq, CITE-seq, TCR/BCR-seq, and related technologies.
- Perform multimodal single cell studies with data analyses of animal studies and clinical trial samples to advance the development of Visterra’s therapeutic biologic candidates.
- Develop molecular and cell biology-based proprietary technologies to support Visterra’s therapeutic antibody discovery pipeline.
- Collaborate with a team of experimental and computational researchers in developing and deploying advanced single cell and other innovative technologies.
- Perform experimental design and troubleshoot methods to develop robust procedures and high-quality datasets.
- Analyze and summarize key datasets and results for internal review, including written technical reports and oral presentations.
- Operate, collaborate, and communicate effectively in a team-oriented, cross-functional research and development organization.
- A B.S or M.S. degree in biology, molecular biology, immunology, biological engineering, or related field and a minimum of 6 (B.S.) or 3 (M.S.) years post-degree research experience, preferably in an industry setting.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following areas:
- Single cell RNA sequencing technologies or related methods (e.g., bulk RNA-seq, DNA barcoding workflows)
- DNA library preparation for high-throughput sequencing (NGS)
- Advanced RNA and DNA molecular biology techniques
- Flow cytometry/FACS methods
- Culture of cell lines and primary cells and cell-based assays
- Familiarity with antibody/biologic drug discovery is preferable.
- Keen on working with new technologies and bringing innovative ideas to projects.
- Highly motivated and inquisitive mindset who thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic research environment.
- A collaborative team-first mentality who can constructively contribute to a team’s innovation and success.
- Detail-oriented and organized with excellent communication skills (written and oral), capable of working on a highly integrated research team.
- Adaptable to change and able to quickly learn new concepts and experimental approaches.
- Limited travel (< 5%) may be required to attend conferences and industry events.
Visterra provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.