HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge youve worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.
Postdoctoral Fellow Emerging Therapeutic ModalitiesLive
What you will do
Lets do this! Lets change the world. This vital role will join an academic-style lab to train under Dr. Ryan Potts, Executive Director, Research, and Dr. Avijit Ghosh, VP, Pharmacokinetics & Drug Metabolism, amongst other leading scientists in the field of Emerging Therapeutic Modalities.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of Amgens R&D Postdoc Program Center of Excellence in Emerging Therapeutic Modalities located at our global headquarters and research site in Thousand Oaks, California.
We are hiring multiple highly motivated postdoctoral fellows to perform independent research projects as part of a core team of cross-functional scientists and critical thinkers, passionate about the theme of Emerging Therapeutic Modalities. The positions are for 2-4 years depending on time to complete projects. Successful candidates will have access to Amgens cutting-edge technologies and innovation and be encouraged to make exciting scientific contributions to the field, present at scientific conferences and publish their work. Postdocs will be a part of the broader R&D Postdoc Program that focuses on training the next generation of industry scientists. An overwhelming majority of our postdocs go on to advance their careers in industry at leading pharma and biotech companies, including many at Amgen.
We are looking for talented, self-motivated individuals passionate about science and making high impact discoveries to work on Emerging Therapeutic Modalities. A major focus will be in the exciting area of Proximity Biology, including Targeted Protein Degradation, E3 ubiquitin ligases, PROTACs and molecular glues. Design principles to overcome challenges in Targeting, Developability and ADME will be elucidated for these novel modalities. New postdoctoral fellows will take a multi-disciplinary approach combining chemical biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, pharmacology, and analytical chemistry to carry out these studies.
Please see representative publications:
- Cell. 2015 160, 715-28.
- Cell. 152, 1051-1064.
- Molecular Cell. S1097-2765(20)30466-4.
- Molecular Cell. 77(6):1206-1221.e7.
- Molecular Cell. 69,113-25.
- Science Advances. 5(5):eaav4832.
- Nature Communications. 11(1):4931
- Drug Metab Dispos. DMD-AR-2021-000798
- Drug Metab Dispos.47(10):1097-1099
- J Med Chem.63(12):6407-6422
- Analytical Chemistry93(13):5562-5569
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Postdoctoral Fellow we seek is a professional with these qualifications.Basic qualifications
- PhD at the time of appointment
- PhD in biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, cancer biology, pharmacology, chemistry, or pharmaceutical sciences.
- Broad knowledge of molecular and cellular biology with demonstrated independent research eminence through first author publications in top journals
- Specific expertise and a record of publication in the biology and biochemistry of ubiquitin-proteasome system and/or protein degradation
- Research experience with biochemical, biophysical, molecular and cellular techniques, including enzyme and cell assay development, characterization of protein modification and turnover, and mechanistic studies of enzymes, including developing drug-target engagement assays
- Understanding of mechanistic pharmacokinetic principles including drug absorption, permeability, and key factors in optimizing bioavailability of new chemical entities
- Research experience with establishing novel assays to understand the role of drug transporters in both absorption and clearance
- Comprehensive knowledge of analytical chemistry with a focus on mass spectroscopy skills for quantitation of proteins and peptides out of biological matricesical matrices
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- A passion to explore the unknown and make discoveries that will chart new areas of biology
Some of the vast rewards of working here!
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and improve your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plancomprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefitswith compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
You may visit the Post Doctoral Fellows Career Page for more information and opportunities.Apply now
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.careers.amgen.com
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Amgen requires all staff in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.