Postdoctoral Scholar - Pelka Lab
- Gladstone Institutes
- San Francisco, CA
- Start date
- Nov 19, 2022
- Science/R&D, Research, Laboratory
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Postdoctoral Scholar - Pelka Lab
We are seeking a highly motivated applicant for a full-time position as a Postdoctoral Fellow to join us in our efforts to systematically dissect multicellular interaction networks in human tumors with the goal to improve immunotherapy. We are a new lab within the joint Gladstone-UCSF Institute of Genomic Immunology. Our goal is to better understand how immune, stromal, and malignant cells are working together in complex human tissues to sense danger, initiate, execute, and terminate customized defense mechanisms, and re-establish homeostasis. We are especially interested in innate immune mechanisms that set the stage for whether or not anti-tumor responses are successful. Our work is based on our recent single-cell RNA sequencing and spatial profiling effort that revealed several immunologically relevant and spatially-organized multicellular interaction networks, ‘immune hubs’, in tumor tissues from patients with colorectal cancer (Pelka et al. Cell 2021). The next step is to decode the intercellular communication pathways within and between immune hubs to learn how the hubs form, how they function, how they evolve over time, and how pre-existing hubs impact future immune responses. To this end, we will perform high-throughput and high-content CRISPR-based perturbation screens in human ex vivo and mouse in vivo models and draw from the patient-derived tissue and organoid resources that we have built. Key areas in the lab are (1) Spatial profiling of immune hubs in patient specimens; (2) Human ex vivo cell-cell interaction screens (3); Mouse in vivo cell-cell interaction screens; (4) Epigenetic impact of immune hubs on myeloid and malignant cells. We are embedded in the dynamic and vibrant research community of the Gladstone, UCSF, and the larger Bay Area with ample training and career development opportunities, and strongly believe in cross-disciplinary collaboration. Our goal is to reveal fundamental rules of tumor and tissue immunology, identify biomarkers of immunotherapy response, discover novel drug targets to improve immunotherapy and raise the next generation of cancer immunologists.
- PhD and/or MD in life science or a related discipline relevant to our lab, e.g. molecular biology, immunology, genetics, bioinformatics
- Highly self-motivated, passionate, and committed to bringing ambitious projects to completion
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Reliable, responsible, and with high scientific standards
Payment is according to the Gladstone Institutes pay scale. The J David Gladstone Institutes is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Please submit your complete application documents including cover letter, CV, and contact information for references to:email@example.com.
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.
Gladstone is an independent, nonprofit life science research organization located in the epicenter of biomedical and technological innovation in the San Francisco Bay Area. Gladstone has created a research model that disrupts how science is done, funds big ideas, and attracts the brightest minds. Gladstone Institutes leads the way for innovative research in the biomedical field. We always seek dedicated and talented individuals to join our team.
Scientists know that using a diversity of approaches is often the most efficient strategy for solving a problem. New and different perspectives engender the very innovation that Gladstone prizes. This is one of the many reasons why we value diversity at Gladstone—be that a diversity of race, culture, religion, mental or physical ability, heritage, age, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristics. Our employees hail from more than 30 countries around the globe and we seek to hire the best and brightest for our diverse team of scientists and administrators. Career opportunities are available in both our administrative offices and our research areas.
Gladstone offers eligible employees—and their dependents—a comprehensive range of benefits, including health insurance, retirement savings, and professional development.
- Health and Retirement
- A choice of medical plans, flexible spending account, and retirement account options that include employer contributions help you take care of your health and your future.
- Time Away from Work
- More than just vacation days, our paid and unpaid leave policies offer flexibility to help you confront different stages of life including maternity and paternity leave, as well as other types of family leave.
- Professional Development
- Gladstone encourages employees to seek the skills they need to remain at the forefront of their profession. By supporting professional development workshops and continuing education, Gladstone provides employees with the resources they need to evolve in their role and in their career.
- Gladstone Cares
- A specially selected suite of benefits to support you in and out of the workplace. Includes resources for dealing with the many stages of life to specific coverage for family planning, and back-up child or elder care coverage.
1650 Owens Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert