Research Scientist - Oncology drug discovery
United States - Washington - Seattle
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
Gilead Sciences (Seattle, WA) is seeking a talented and highly motivated Research Scientist to support Oncology drug discovery and development projects. The successful candidate will work within a highly collaborative, dynamic, and fast-paced environment, utilizing state-of-the art technologies and innovative approaches to advance new cancer medicines into the clinic. In this role they will contribute to cross-functional project teams focused on (but not limited to) small molecule therapeutics targeting tumor cell-intrinsic pathways in solid tumors. The position provides significant opportunities for early career growth through acquisition of new skills, experiences, and professional relationships.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Independently plan, execute, analyze, and interpret experiments to validate novel drug targets and generate proof-of-concept data to support early-stage projects
- Proactively review scientific literature and to develop knowledge of target biology, formulate hypotheses, and identify relevant experimental approaches
- Investigate new technologies and assay platforms to accelerate early-stage discovery research and/or enhance understanding of disease mechanisms
- Independently research and implement experimental techniques to characterize the activity of small molecules and investigate their mechanism of action in cell-based cancer models
- Work cross-functionally with colleagues in other research groups (e.g., chemistry, high throughput biology, bioinformatics, in vivo pharmacology, biomarker sciences) and with CROs
- Present research findings and recommendations to senior staff and contribute to preparation of research reports, manuscripts, INDs, and patent filings
- May manage a Research Associate or direct members of a project team in the initiation and execution of laboratory experiments
- PhD degree in cellular biology, molecular biology, or cancer-related discipline
- Minimum of 2 years postdoctoral experience with strong record of achievement in an academic or industry setting
- Direct experience studying cellular pathways involved in cancer development. Expertise in at least one of the following areas is highly desired: oncogene/tumor suppressor pathways, cell cycle regulation, DNA damage repair & replication stress, cancer cell death, synthetic lethality, or mechanisms of chemoresistance
- Proficiency working with cancer cell line models is essential. Experience with 3-D cultures, tumor organoids, and/or cancer mouse models is an asset.
- Hands-on experience with assays used to measure gene/protein expression and cell signaling (e.g., RT-qPCR, Nanostring, Western blot, Simple Western, ELISA, MSD, Luminex, flow cytometry)
- Hands-on experience with techniques used to modulate gene expression or protein function (e.g., RNAi, CRISPR/Cas9, targeted protein degradation, cell line engineering)
- Prior experience handling and evaluating small molecules in cellular assays is an asset
- Ability to think critically and creatively to address complex and challenging biological questions
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.