Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
The Senior Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Senior CLS) will perform high-complexity laboratory testing on study specimens, performing quality control and quality assurance procedures, and comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements. The work requires keeping meticulous and organized records; excellent attention to detail; and the ability to flexibly prioritize multiple tasks and schedules, analysis, and results.
The Senior CLS will be involved with training, troubleshooting, leading projects, meeting project deliverables, and understanding and implementing laboratory goals. The Senior CLS must exhibit leadership skills such as good judgment, decision-making, ability to remain professional and composed under pressure, effective interpersonal skills, the ability to analyze complex issues and make sound decisions, the ability to respond to difficult issues quickly, fairly and ethically, and the ability to adapt quickly to evolving circumstances.
The work requires keeping meticulous and organized records, excellent attention to details, effective written and verbal communications skills, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently in a team environment. The Senior CLS must also demonstrate excellent communication skills, proactively communicating team goals and priorities clearly, openly and objectively, and communicating changes, issues and challenges in all directions of the organization.
- Performing high-complexity laboratory tests, procedures, and analyses according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures (SOPs) and work instructions
- Collaborating with the Development Team and the Automation Team to lead and to execute assay improvement experiments, new assay configurations, and validations
- Operating, maintaining, troubleshooting, and documenting routine preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment according to the laboratory’s SOPs for machines and devices including, but not limited to, the following: centrifuges, freezers, refrigerators, pipettors, incubators, NovaSeq units, Flexmap units, Blue® Washers, Bravo units, Hamilton units, and work cells, as needed
- Reviewing, interpreting, and reporting study results in the company’s laboratory information management system (LIMS) as assigned
- Independently identifying and troubleshooting high-complexity assay problems that adversely affect the test performance
- Performing, reviewing, and documenting laboratory quality control procedures
- Documenting all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications
- Reporting all quality issues and/or safety concerns to the laboratory supervisor or safety officer
- Training existing laboratory personnel in new procedures and training new laboratory personnel
- Preparing reagents required for testing
- Performing and documenting reagent qualification per the approved protocols
- Providing direct supervision of the work of unlicensed laboratory personnel during the analytical phase of testing
- Writing and reviewing procedures, documents, and forms
- Communicating effectively with coworkers and non-laboratory personnel
- Performing other laboratory duties as assigned
- Leading the introduction of assay improvements, new assay configurations, and validation
- If necessary, acting as a team leader when assigned to provide assistance to the laboratory supervisors and leads, including but not limited to:
- Assisting in administrative duties, including but not limited to the review of documents and forms
- Taking charge of shift communication if supervisors and leads are not present
- Assisting supervisors with coaching CLSs and laboratory associates, including but not limited to proving guidance and constructive feedback
- Providing issue updates to supervisors and leads
- Assisting in sample and process troubleshooting
- Monitoring data and process status as needed
Your background, perspective and experience:
- Must possess a valid California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license (Generalist preferred, CGMBS accepted)
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or related field
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations
- At least 4 years of Clinical Laboratory experience or equivalent
- Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Experience managing clinical laboratory personnel preferred
- Laboratory testing experience within the last five years preferred
- High volume laboratory experience preferred
- Experience in molecular biology techniques preferred
- Strong automation and computing skills
- Ability to analyze and problem solve complex issues that may impact test performance
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.