Graphite Bio is a clinical-stage, next-generation gene editing company harnessing high efficiency targeted gene integration to develop a new class of therapies to potentially cure a wide range of serious and life-threatening diseases. Graphite Bio is pioneering a precision gene editing approach that could enable a variety of applications to transform human health through its potential to achieve one of medicine’s most elusive goals: to precisely “find & replace” any gene in the genome. Graphite Bio’s platform allows it to precisely correct mutations, replace entire disease-causing genes with normal genes or insert new genes into predetermined, safe locations. The company was co-founded by academic pioneers in the fields of gene editing and gene therapy, including Maria Grazia Roncarolo, M.D., and Matthew Porteus, M.D., Ph.D.
Graphite Bio is seeking an exceptional and highly motivated Director to lead our antibody engineering efforts. The individual will work closely with a cross-functional team developing biologics to enable our gene editing and hematopoietic stem cell therapies. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in antibody engineering and/or antigen design, production, characterization, and analytics. This position is in a highly collaborative, innovative, and rapidly evolving environment and interfaces with multiple teams and functions across the organization. This role will report to our VP Protein Sciences.
What You Will Do:
- Lead a high-performing team of protein/antibody engineers with varied specialty areas
- Mentor and provide scientific leadership, and strategic and technical guidance to our growing team of scientists
- Provide technical expertise including antibody design – monoclonal antibodies and bispecifics, fragments thereof
- Lead optimization – affinity enhancement, Fc engineering for effector function and half-life
- Develop and lead analytical assessment of protein purity, stability, and developability
- Supervise mammalian expression and purification strategies for desired proteins
- Antigen design
- Lead the mammalian protein engineering function for multiple programs, working with a cross-functional team comprising immunology, in vivo biology, stem cell biology, and gene therapy disciplines
- Train, manage, and mentor direct report(s)
- Manage outsourced research and relationships with CROs in support of antibody development and CDMOs in support of manufacturing
- Interpret and synthesize scientific data and communicate findings internally and externally, supporting regulatory submissions and intellectual property
- Demonstrate excellence consistent with Graphite Bio’s core values, including leading with science, attracting, and retaining top key talent critical to business success, and developing team members
What You Will Bring:
- PhD. and post-doctoral studies in molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology or related field
- Minimum 10-15 years of experience in biologics drug discovery and pre-clinical development, of which at least 5 years in a leadership role
- Experience in leading complex multi-disciplinary drug discovery programs
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Thorough understanding of the biologics drug discovery process from target validation and therapeutic concept through the transition to clinical development, especially with engineering antibodies and bi-specific antibodies and their optimization and development
- Extensive experience with cutting-edge antibody discovery technologies
- Entrepreneurial behaviors demonstrated by agility, accountability, transparency, resourcefulness, and ability to get things done
- Flexible mind with the ability to think creatively, creative approach to problem-solving, and comfort in working with ambiguous data in an open-ended, exploratory process
- Demonstrated ability to perform as a team player
What Graphite Will Bring:
At Graphite Bio, we are intentionally building a community that is inspired, diverse, and curious. For this role, and all roles, we seek someone who is:
- Determined. You share our mission to bring curative gene editing to patients. And you know the need is urgent.
- People-focused. You prioritize relationships. You value differences and are an excellent listener.
- Adaptable. You seek solutions, even when things change. You prefer to find your way to “yes!”
Graphite Bio is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that our strength is in our differences. Our goal to build a diverse and inclusive team began on day one, and it will never end.
All company employees, regardless of work location, must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Fully vaccinated means a person has received all recommended doses in their primary series COVID-19 vaccine. Requests for an accommodation/exemption for medical or religious reasons, as well as under applicable state law, will be considered on a case-by-case basis consistent with applicable law.
To all recruitment agencies
: Graphite Bio does not accept agency resumes or applications. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, or Graphite Bio employees. Graphite Bio is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes or applications.