Research Scientist Oncology or Immuno-Oncology
United States - Washington - Seattle
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
The Oncology department at Gilead Sciences is seeking a highly motivated and creative scientist to support the discovery and development of novel therapeutics targeting cancer cell intrinsic proteins that drive immune evasion. The successful candidate will design and execute biological experiments to identify and validate novel mechanisms as well as advance novel therapeutics targeting them. Our highly diverse, collaborative and interdisciplinary research teams utilize state-of-the-art technologies and innovative methodologies to advance novel oncology and immuno-oncology therapies into the clinic. The position has ample opportunities for career growth through acquisition of new skills, experiences and professional relationships in an inclusive, fast-paced and resource-rich environment, while contributing to interdisciplinary research teams to advance medicines into the clinic.Key Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Experience and SkillsRequired:
- Independently plan, design, execute, analyze, and interpret key proof of concept studies to drive or support oncology target validation and advance therapeutic candidates
- Define critical path studies needed to support hypothesis-based research.
- Proactively evaluate new technologies and develop assays to support early-stage discovery activities
- Work cross-functionally with colleagues in the oncology, protein therapeutics, in vivo pharmacology and biomarker groups and mentor more junior colleagues
- Present research findings and recommendations to senior staff and contribute to preparation of research reports, manuscripts, INDs, and patent filings
- PhD in molecular or cellular biology or equivalent scientific discipline with a focus on immuno-oncology or cancer cell biology highly preferred.
- A minimum of 2+ years of post-doctoral experience. Academic candidates should have a proven record of publication.
- In-depth knowledge of molecular and biological pathways that contribute to cancer development and interaction with the immune system.
- Knowledge of pre-clinical models of cancer including xenografts, genetically modified models, patient derived tumor explants and syngeneic tumor models. Experience with tumor-immune cell co-culture models is an asset.
- Excellent technical skills applicable to state-of-art cellular biology and pharmacology.
- Strong motivation, independence, and ability to work in a high-pace multidisciplinary, matrix environment with minimal supervision.
- Detail-oriented with excellent record keeping and organizational skills.
- Strong communication and data presentation skills, both written and oral.
- Experience designing and executing scientific studies for the discovery and investigation of non-clinical drug development candidates is preferred.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.