Freenome is a high growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
The Clinical Laboratory General Supervisor is responsible for the general supervision of Clinical Laboratory personnel and the daily operations of the Analytical Laboratory. The Clinical Laboratory General Supervisor may also perform high complexity laboratory testing on patient specimens, interpret and report patient results, and perform quality control and quality assurance procedures while complying with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements.
The high complexity nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently in a team environment.
The Clinical Laboratory General Supervisor will often be the first point of contact for CLSs and Laboratory Associates during laboratory processing and will provide guidance while troubleshooting complex problems. The Clinical Laboratory General Supervisor must also act as a liaison between the CLSs and Laboratory Associates and the Technical Supervisor, Quality Manager and Laboratory Director. As such, the Clinical Laboratory General Supervisor must exhibit leadership skills such as good judgment, sound analysis and decision making, the ability to remain professional and composed under pressure, effective interpersonal skills, and the ability to effectively communicate across all levels of the laboratory and across departments.
The Clinical Laboratory General Supervisor will also be involved with scheduling, troubleshooting high complexity technical and non-technical problems, coaching and mentoring the laboratory staff, building effective teams, managing projects and meeting project deliverables, and understanding and implementing laboratory goals. Given the wide variety of tasks involved in this position, the Clinical Laboratory General Supervisor must demonstrate the ability to analyze complex issues and make sound decisions in a timely manner, commitment to helping and motivating employees, the ability to respond to difficult issues quickly, fairly, and ethically, outstanding organizational skills, the ability to respond to change with flexibility and to adapt quickly to evolving circumstances, and excellent communication skills including utilizing various communication channels (team meetings, one on one etc.), proactively communicating team goals and priorities clearly, openly and objectively, and communicating changes, issues, and challenges in all directions of the organization.
- Provide day-to-day supervision of laboratory personnel.
- Be responsible for the daily operations of the laboratory including but not limited to scheduling, independently troubleshooting and resolving technical and non-technical high complexity problems that adversely affect test performance.
- Perform administrative duties including but not limited to writing employee performance evaluations and reviewing SOPs, Work Instructions, protocols, training forms, QC forms, and equipment maintenance forms.
- Perform annual review of Standard Operating Procedures and Work instructions.
- Coach and mentor CLSs and Laboratory Associates including but not limited to providing guidance and constructive feedback and assisting with the development of the troubleshooting and judgment skills of CLSs and Laboratory Associates.
- Manage the testing and validation of new procedures and laboratory equipment
- Perform laboratory tests, procedures, and analyses according to the laboratory's standard operating procedures as needed.
- Review, interpret, and report patient results as needed.
- Perform, review and document laboratory quality control procedures, as needed.
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot laboratory equipment, as needed.
- Assist with the training of new laboratory personnel and training of new procedures with existing personnel.
- Participate in internal and external inspection preparation activities.
- Participate in quality assurance activities.
- Effectively communicate technical information to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Maintain stringent standards for quality, identifying any issues which might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety, and communicating these to the appropriate management representatives as necessary for resolution.
- Report all concerns of test quality and/or safety to the Supervisor or Safety Officer.
Your background, perspective and experience:
- California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or related field.
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations.
- A minimum of Four years of Clinical Laboratory experience required, 6 years preferred.
- At least two years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Outstanding professionalism, leadership, and communications skills.
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed.
- Proactively communicate consistently, clearly, and honestly.
- Ability to provide direct supervision to testing personnel.
- Ability to analyze and problem solve complex issues that impact test performance.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong technical skills and job and industry knowledge.
- Strong project management abilities.
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- Hours and days may vary depending on operational needs.
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, blood specimens and instruments with moving parts, heating or freezing elements, and high speed centrifugation (Generally laboratory and Customer Services employees only).
- Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary.
- Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) may be necessary.
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.