Sr Research Associate II - Biologics Discovery
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
Gilead is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world.Specific Responsibilities:
The Biologics Discovery group is a specialized team within the Protein Therapeutics function that is responsible for the discovery and optimization of biologic drug candidates. We seek a highly motivated Senior Research Associate to join this team in a newly created position. The successful candidate will contribute to antibody discovery as part of a cross-functional team specializing in the discovery and screening of novel biologic modalities in support of all therapeutic areas at Gilead.Job Responsibilities:
In this laboratory-based role, the successful candidate will support efforts to generate novel antibody-based therapeutics through in vivo-based traditional- and single B-cell technologies. The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation in discovery workflows, molecular biology, and cloning. Job requirements:
- Drive antibody discovery by conducting hybridoma workflows as well as B-cell isolation, antibody molecular cloning and reformatting, and initial characterization.
- Prepare antigens and work cross-functionally to conduct rodent immunizations, bleeds, and necropsies. Note that this position will be based in Foster City but require transportation to South San Francisco for in vivo work.
- Independently design, analyze and interpret experiments for the discovery and characterization of the isolated antibodies and alternate binder formats.
- Collaborate with Discovery Sciences & Technology colleagues to support functional characterization of antibodies in multiple binder formats.
- Present scientific results in multiple settings and attend project team meetings.
- Deliver scientific results for publications, patents and regulatory submissions.
- Maintain familiarity with relevant scientific literature.
B.S./M.S. Degree in biological sciences, preferably with at least BS +4 years / MS +2 years of relevant professional experience and a proven track record in molecular biology and preferably antibody discovery.
An ideal candidate will have experience in most of the following areas:
- Mammalian cell culture skills required. Transient protein expression experience is a plus.
- Hands-on experience performing basic in vivo rodent studies.
- Experience in biochemical assays and quantitative analysis of protein-protein binding interactions highly desired. Hands-on experience in antibody discovery and development methods a plus.
- Experience in flow cytometry required. Experience with single-cell FACS sorting or other single-cell technologies is a plus.
- Experience in molecular cloning is a plus.
- Experience analyzing antibody sequencing datasets is a plus.
- Highly organized and capable to track multiple, complex workflows.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with an ability to work in a dynamic, collaborative, and evolving environment.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.