This position is responsible for repairs, installation, testing, modifications and maintenance of the electrical, data and telecommunication distribution systems.
- Repair and install lighting and power distribution systems.
- Perform new construction and renovations of the Institute facilities.
- Provide electrical safety of employees and Institute equipment.
- Install new lab equipment and modify existing lab equipment.
- Coordinate with electrical contractors to insure the work is done in accordance with the National Electrical Code and in a professional manner.
- Install LAN and modify the telephone systems.
- Perform preventative maintenance of emergency generators and lighting systems.
- Estimate and cost future electrical projects.
- Plan and purchase materials for upcoming electrical projects.
- Perform annual life safety testing related to emergency generators, fire alarms and UPS.
- Perform other duties as may be required by supervisor.
- Will observe appropriate operational, safety and study requirements by reading, understanding and following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and study protocols when entering regulated facilities.
- Ability to perform all tasks of the electrical craft.
- Ability to estimate cost of jobs, select materials, lay out work and conduct inspections.
- Ability to interpret and work from construction drawings.
- High School diploma
- 5 years' experience with working knowledge of all phases of electrical distribution system.
- Experienced in most phases of work of the electrical craft.
- Knowledge of use of protective equipment and safety protocol related to the possible exposure to dust, chemicals, fumes, vapors or mists that could potentially affect the health of the employee.
- Knowledge of use of protective equipment and safety protocols related to handling hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of life safety codes and regulations.
- Journeyman, State of Alabama License or must be able to obtain the certificate within two year
- EPA License to Operating underground storage tanks to provide fuel for Emergency Generators
Work Environment & Conditions
- Ability to wear appropriate PPE if necessary to enter BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratory work environments.
- Ability to withstand exposure to constant or intermittent high noise levels.
- This position is required to work in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments.
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time
- Bending and stooping
- Must be able to lift 25 to 50 lbs. on a periodic basis
- Ability to climb ladders and stairs in performing work
- Ability to lift, push, pull and/or carry objects in the arms or on the shoulders on a regular basis
- Ability to stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or legs
- Ability to crawl in confined spaces on hands and knees to perform work
- Ability to determine colors (no color blindness)