The Genomic Research Center (GRC) Immunology Computational Biology group at AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated computational biologist to play an integral role in a multi-disciplinary team focused on developing new therapies for the treatment and cure of immunological diseases. AbbVie’s GRC is a center of excellence for bioinformatics, functional genomics, human genetics and pharmacogenomics. The GRC works across all R&D including discovery and clinical development, and multiple areas such as process sciences, search and evaluation and corporate strategy.
This position will be based in Cambridge, Massachusetts (REMOTE optional), and the candidate will work closely with computational biologists across the network and be embedded in research project teams in immunology discovery and precision medicine to analyze patient-derived multi-omic data to derive insights into immunological diseases, characterize mechanisms of action and develop biomarkers specific to patient cohorts and AbbVie pipeline drugs. They will be responsible for formulating scientific questions into coherent analytical efforts, developing rigorous statistical modeling and bioinformatics methods, integrating large scale multi-modal datasets to derive quantitative biological insights, and communicating scientific findings to project teams. In addition, the candidate will contribute to presentations at scientific conferences and publications of translational findings in peer reviewed journals, new drug applications and regulatory filings.
- Partner with discovery and clinical development teams to address key project team questions related to forward/reverse translation, genomic biomarker identification, companion diagnostic development and mechanistic characterization, and communicate findings to internal and external stakeholders
- Develop and apply statistical and computational methods for analysis of high dimensional data from immunology clinical trials, real world evidence datasets to enable biomarker strategy, drug combinations, understanding of MOA, disease subtypes, indication selection, patient stratification, etc
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze and interpret complex large datasets and communicate findings to non-computational scientists and senior leaders
- Provide expertise and technical consultation for external collaborations/partnerships in academia and industry
- Mentor and develop junior scientists in a matrixed environment
- PhD, MS or BS Degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics/biostatistics, mathematics, computer science, genomics or a related field with typically 4-6+ (PhD), 10-12+ (MS), or 12-14+ (BS) years of experience
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience working on omics data analysis
- Experience in one or more of the following is required: a) bulk transcriptomic data analysis, b) molecular/genomic biomarker characterization
- Proficient in at least one of following programming languages: R, Python and Shell in a Linux environment.
- Expertise in computational biology, biostatistics and biomarker strategies
- Good understanding of immunology disease biology
- Experienced with statistical analysis of genomic and transcriptomic data
- Expertise in predictive modeling, quantitative data analysis, and machine learning
- Develop and implement analysis workflow, software applications, and data warehouse to improve visualization, integration, and accessibility of complex genomics and clinical data
- Pro-active, collaborative scientist with outstanding presentation and communication skills that foster teamwork across a wide variety of functions and audiences
- A self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic capable of managing multiple objectives in parallel. At ease in a dynamic environment and quick to adapt to changing priorities
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.