HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of.
Senior Manager Global AccountingLive
What you will do
Lets do this! Lets change the world! In this vital role you will Amgen is one of the worlds largest independent biotechnology companies. For more than 40 years, Amgen has pioneered biotechnology breakthroughs, to bring state-of-the-art medicines from laboratory to the patient. Amgen has not only discovered and developed innovative human therapeutics but has invested in cutting edge manufacturing capability and support services to deliver these exciting therapies to patients around the world. Amgen has one mission: To Serve Patients.
Our Global Accounting team is made up of a diverse and highly skilled group of professionals who are passionate about Amgens mission of serving patients. Teams are in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. We also have accounting operations supported by our external business partner in India.Responsibilities:
- Supervise a team of 3+ Amgen or Contract/Temporary staff in day-to-day accounting operations to deliver on accounting close and reporting activities related to inventory, reserves, intercompany transactions, transfer pricing for Amgens manufacturing network, and to ensure US GAAP and statutory reporting compliance in the related areas
- Provide coaching and guidance to team members utilizing the Amgen values as the basis
- Manage roles and responsibilities within the team to balance workload across the team and prioritize based on resources available
Analysis and Interpretation Accounting and Financial Reports
- Implement effective processes to identify and provide timely guidance on Generally Accepted Accounting Principles by partnering with Technical Accounting and External Auditors, as needed
- Review and validate variance analysis prepared by team for the movements of Balance Sheet, Income Statement, and Cash Flow statements
- Establish efficient processes to draft and review footnote disclosures and review detailed support is appropriate for external reporting deliverables (10Q/10K).
Business Partnering (Operations, Manufacturing, and Supply Chain)
- Develop strategic relationships with Finance and Operational team leaders to coordinate the successful execution of Month End close activities.
- Provide leadership support to initiatives or projects by providing accounting guidance and identifying risks to internal controls.
- Identify and escalate concerns or issues that impact the accounting close process and financial reporting.
Internal Controls and Compliance Process support
- Partner with Internal Controls team to execute and review Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Certification and other control verification processes. Review draft deficiency reports as applicable and leads and monitor implementation of remediation actions.
- Support Internal/External/Tax audits by identifying the resources to support the requests and ensuring timely and accurate submission and responses.
- Ensure tax compliance and statutory financial requirements are adhered to and related government transactions, if any, are timely and accurately completed.
- Understand and interpret Policies and Procedures to provide guidance to partners on proper application.
Operational Improvement, Automation, and Project Management
- Collaborate with process stakeholders to proactively resolve and implement an efficient and effective accounting close process.
- Engage in gaining knowledge and deploying Automation and Reporting solutions (e.g. UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Anaplan, Tableau, Alteryx, MS Teams, Smartsheet, Docusign) to reduce transactional work in favor of strategy and analysis.
- Handle special projects for which Global Accounting representation is required, including company expansion, business acquisitions, divestitures, and financial system implementations.
Vendor Services Management
- Engage with Leadership of our External Services vendor supporting accounting operations to monitor activities and address issues on a timely basis.
- Engage in regular governance meetings to discuss the status of activities, projects, and issue resolution. Monitor Service Level Metrics and manage expectations and deliverables.
- Provide timely feedback on external services personnel performance and work with vendor leadership to remediate.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The global accounting professional we seek is a driven leader with these qualifications.
- Doctorate degree and 2+ years of accounting/finance experience, OR
- Masters degree and 6+ years of accounting/finance experience, OR
- Bachelors degree and 8+ years of accounting/finance experience, OR
- Associates degree and 10+ years of accounting/finance experience, OR
- High school diploma / GED and 12+ years of accounting/finance experience
- 2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs, or directing the allocation of resources
- 10+ years of experience in accounting, audit, or financial reporting
- 3+ years of leadership and/or supervisory experience
- Masters in Business Administration (MBA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), and/or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) strongly desired
- Proficient in usage of Microsoft Office Applications
- Comprehensive accounting knowledge on Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and financial reporting
- Excellent interpersonal skills including strong written/verbal communication, and presentation skills
- Ability to work collaboratively among a diverse global team and bridge cultural differences
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical, problem-solving, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently, to multi-task, and establish priorities
- Positive attitude and a strong work ethic
- Driven to take initiative and works effectively with minimal direction in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with SAP and BW, Hyperion, EDW applications, implementing automation initiatives and driving engagement
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
Apply now for a career that defies imagination
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.careers.amgen.com
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Amgen requires all staff in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.