Summary of the Position
This is a professional, non-supervisory level position wherein the incumbent will be responsible for the management (including top, and growth accounts) of an assigned territory or region. The incumbent will be responsible for all GSCD activity within their territory which includes the management of accounts and authorized distributors, if assigned. The Manager of Strategic Customer Development will work with the Director Strategic Customer Development/RM of NorAm or Team Lead (depending on the organizational structure) directly for direction, priorities, and areas of focus. The incumbent will work with the RPO staff to help provide actionable insights from the customer through strategic customer engagement and by capturing them in Salesforce; working sales qualified leads to meet performance goals. This position will coordinate and manage customer interactions, stakeholder groups as assigned, promote USP product and services in a portfolio type approach and have one to two areas of specific focus for the North America (NorAM) SCD team. The incumbent will work closely with other Strategic Customer Development Managers globally and RPO staff to identify product enhancements and new service offerings through recording customer insights. The incumbent will support the execution of required plans for key accounts in their respective areas with the key account team. The incumbent is responsible for driving revenue and units sold per territory and reporting to their supervisor on a frequent schedule, including taking actions as necessary to overcome challenges.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Make the requisite number of touch points (phone calls/emails/teleconferences/meetings/customer visits) to assigned accounts (based on tiers) to the responsible individuals and decision-makers on USPs service and product portfolio with a primary focus on Reference Standards and documenting calls, meetings, and emails in Salesforce contemporaneously.
- Employing strategic customer engagement practices to understand how management behaves to changes and key decision drivers at each of the key accounts and large national companies within their territory.
- Create User Forums, Quality Hours, Workshops and Webinars of topics of key interest to our customers along with Scientific Affairs, Science leads and Regulatory Affairs to showcase offerings and the USP value proposition.
- Identify companies willing to work with USP on new monographs, monograph improvement and bulk material.
- Work closely with accounts to help shepherd Monograph Donations to the USP pipeline.
- Developing account plans and working them to meet the revenue and units targets along with gaining an understanding of customer needs and how USP may meet those needs.
- Elevating customer insights and potential future customer needs as the quality paradigm changes.
- Maintain and update account information for all assigned accounts within Salesforce.
- Capturing insights from the customers to determine the drivers and barriers for growth and be solution seeking through documenting the insights in Salesforce.
- Understanding and being trained on the SCD hub for all new and existing products to be able to present the USP service and product portfolio to the customers.
- Understanding the territory numbers (revenue and units) explicitly and identifying the drivers and barriers for growth trends for reference standards purchases every month. Keep track of the progress to goals, monthly.
- Analyze the customer reporting data and preparing reports on sales trends for USP and competitor products and make recommendations on business impact and directions.
- Provide support to various functions in the organization: Customer Experience, Services and Support, Key Accounts, Marketing based on insights received from the users of the products and services offered.
- Know and have complete understanding of USP business. Know what the macro factors are that influence our business in addition to detailed knowledge of customer needs.
- Help to increase our understanding of the relationship between USP, Regulatory and Commercial markets both domestically and internationally and how those relationships effect our Revenue and Mission.
- Support opportunities for CEO engagement among top key customers and accounts.
- Create points of intersection with other SCDs globally to benchmark and work together or similar programs.
- Travel can be up to 50%, both domestic and international.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, or a related science field required or business degree or related field.
- Five (5) years experience in a life sciences role preferably in the pharmaceutical industry or a contract lab that does testing for pharmaceutical industry or other evidence of experience in conducting USP-NF testing in an analytical laboratory.
- Five (5) years experience providing account management to pharmaceutical or chemical/laboratory supply channels
- Experience in life sciences related work with demonstrated customer facing engagement activities including but not limited to face-to-face interactions and digital touchpoints.
- Good interpersonal skills, communications skills, and telephone manner required.
- Experience using data analytical platform (e.g., Tableau) and CRM platform (e.g., Sales Force) a plus.
- Previous sales experience a plus.
- Experience with regulatory, quality assurance or GMP background a plus.
- Strong account management skills required.
- Strong problem-solving skills with customer-centric approach.
- Proficient in data analytical skills to understand and track financial performance.
- Excellent relationship-building skills with customers.
- Excellent in person presentation skills.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate data and prepare reports related to territories and areas of focus as routine.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced multi-task environment.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
The following COVID-19 provisions will apply to selected candidate(s) hired:
As a condition of employment with United States Pharmacopeial Conventions (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Sales & Marketing
Job Type Full-Time