We are seeking a talented and curious engineer to join our SPecialized Research in Chaotic Systems (SPaRCS) team within our Drug Discovery Science and Technology (DDST) organization. This individual will work with scientists and engineers across R&D to create innovative microfluidic components that facilitate the delivery of significant productivity improvements to AbbVie laboratories. The successful candidate will utilize their thirst for knowledge and their experience to design and fabricate custom polymer, glass, or silicon components for a wide variety of life science laboratories.
- Collaboratively design, fabricate, and test custom microfluidic devices, especially for tissue engineering or organ-on-a-chip research.
- Maintain, service, and operate complex equipment, including photolithography, vacuum deposition, and plasma etching systems, in a microfabrication cleanroom.
- Interact with academic facilities to access fabrication processes or analytical capabilities unavailable on site.
- Direct work with external vendors for installation and repair of purchased cleanroom equipment.
- Contribute to electrical, software, and mechanical engineering designs and problem solving for custom laboratory instruments
- MS or PhD in electrical or mechanical engineering and typically 10 (MS) or 4 (PhD) years of experience.
- Hands-on experience in a cleanroom facility maintaining, servicing, and operating research equipment for microfabrication of polymer, glass, and silicon devices.
- Experience working in fields of tissue engineering and cell culture.
- Experience in multiple computer programming languages and the demonstrated ability to rapidly debug software written by others.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and, cross functionally, with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.