The Genomic Research Center (GRC) Immunology Systems Computational Biology group at AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated computational biologist to play an integral role in a multi-disciplinary team focused on developing new therapies for the treatment and cure of immunological diseases. AbbVie’s GRC is a center of excellence for bioinformatics, functional genomics, human genetics and pharmacogenomics. The GRC works across all R&D including discovery and clinical development, and multiple areas such as process sciences and corporate strategy.
This position will be based in Cambridge, Massachusetts (REMOTE optional), and the candidate will work closely with computational biologists across the network and be embedded in research project teams in immunology discovery and precision medicine to analyze multi-omic datasets to derive insights into immunological diseases, identify novel therapeutic targets and biomarkers specific to patient cohorts and AbbVie pipeline drugs. They will be responsible for formulating scientific questions into coherent analytical efforts, developing rigorous statistical and bioinformatics methods, integrating large scale multi-modal datasets to derive quantitative biological insights, and communicating scientific findings to project teams. In addition, the candidate will contribute to presentation and publication of translational findings in peer reviewed journals, new drug applications and regulatory filings.
- Collaborate with research scientists to conceive analysis strategy and independently execute analysis to support discovery and clinical pipelines such as new target identification and biomarker development
- Build analytical approaches and perform analysis of molecular profiling data from patient cohorts to enable target identification/assessment, drug combinations, understanding of MOA, disease subtypes and patient stratification etc.
- Identify relevant analysis methodology, internal and external datasets, and knowledge resources for data integration
- Communicate results verbally and in writing to scientific and technical audiences
- Provide expertise and technical consultation for external collaborations/partnerships in academia and industry.
- PhD. Degree in bioinformatics, statistics, mathematics, computer science, computational biology, genomics or a related field
- Master’s degree with typically 10 years of experience
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience working on omics data analysis
- Experience in one or more of the following is required: a) bulk transcriptomic and single cell data analysis b) integration of transcriptomics, proteomics, and/or epigenetics data, c) biological network inference
- Proficient in at least one of following programming languages: R, Python and Shell in a Linux environment.
- Expertise in computational biology, bioinformatics, genomics and biomarker strategies
- Good understanding of immunology disease biology especially RA and SLE and related subjects
- Experienced with analysis of epigenetic and/or spatial transcriptomics data
- Expertise in predictive modeling, systems biology approaches and machine learning
- In-depth understanding of technologies related to high-throughput experimental techniques, such as next generation sequencing technologies, single cell platforms, microarray platforms, and their applications
- Experience in designing and applying bioinformatics algorithms, unsupervised and supervised methods, univariate and multivariate regression analyses, machine learning and deep learning methods
- Proactive scientist with outstanding presentation and communication skills that foster collaboration and teamwork
- A collaborative and self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic, ability to work in a dynamic environment and able to manage multiple objectives in parallel and adapt to changing priorities
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.