We are currently searching for a Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Molecular Microbiology to support the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as technical expert providing state-of-the-art molecular analyses in the Microbiology Service.
- Perform a wide variety of complex experimental procedures involving conventional and molecular microbiology techniques.
- Work with staff on specimen processing and test performance of moderate to high complexity tests.
- Perform moderate and high complexity clinical test procedures such as DNA/RNA purification and quantitation, Sanger sequencing, real-time PCR, library prep for next generation sequencing (NGS) and digital droplet PCR.
- Collaborate with investigator(s) on projects, methods and equipment aiding in meeting the lab’s clinical and research goals.
- Use a variety of computer programs (such as Microsoft Excel) and statistical methods to collect, organize, and analyze data for optimal retrieval and presentation of results in a clear, concise manner.
- Follow the laboratory’s established policies and procedures when test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results; correct problem or notify staff; document all corrective actions taken.
- Communicate and consult with pertinent medical personnel regarding collection procedures; troubleshoot any problems with the specimen or documentation.
- Troubleshoot problems with equipment such as thermocyclers, automated nucleic acid extractors such as QIASymphony/QIAgility instruments and sequencers such as ABI 3500xl.
- Participate in all aspects of laboratory safety, quality control, quality assurance and quality improvement (QC/QA/QI) policies and procedures.
- Document all quality control activities, instrument calibrations and maintenance
- Maintain records that demonstrate proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Organize daily workload based on priorities, rotation schedule and needs of the laboratory and patients.
- Order reagents and supplies required for the specialty testing for equipment and supply contracts.
- Collaborate with staff to evaluate and/or develop new techniques; perform comparative studies with older technology; perform evaluations to determine new guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with accrediting and inspections agency requirements, participating in activities associated with the laboratory accreditation process.
- Bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology or related science such as Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology, or Immunology and at least one (1) year of experience performing Sanger Sequencing and other molecular techniques as noted in the above list of tasks/services is required.
- Master’s degree in Molecular Biology or related science such as Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology, or Immunology and at least three (3) years of experience performing Sanger Sequencing and other molecular techniques as noted in the above list of tasks/services, highly preferred.
- Ability to lift 10 – 30 pounds.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
Dovel Technologies and its Family of Companies (Medical Science & Computing and Ace Info Solutions) was acquired in October 2021.
Guidehouse is a leading global provider of consulting services to the public sector and commercial markets, with broad capabilities in management, technology, and risk consulting. By combining our public and private sector expertise, we help clients address their most complex challenges and navigate significant regulatory pressures focusing on transformational change, business resiliency, and technology-driven innovation. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and digital services, we create scalable, innovative solutions that help our clients outwit complexity and position them for future growth and success. The company has more than 12,000 professionals in over 50 locations globally. Guidehouse is a Veritas Capital portfolio company, led by seasoned professionals with proven and diverse expertise in traditional and emerging technologies, markets, and agenda-setting issues driving national and global economies.
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance, including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@guidehouse.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse, and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.