Sr Associate General Counsel (Head of Contracts)
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job DescriptionGilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California. Senior Associate General Counsel
(Head of Foster City Contracts)Gilead's Corporate Legal Group is seeking an attorney with 10+ years of commercial agreement transactional experience to join and lead our contracting team. Our Foster City-based contracting team consists of 20+ smart, collegial, and team-oriented attorney and non-attorney legal professionals that provide day-to-day contracting support to Gilead's business units, including research, development, manufacturing, commercial, facilities, IT and G&A. The team works closely with colleagues in IP, procurement, IT security, privacy and other legal and functional groups to deliver high-quality contracting support to Gilead's many business teams, and, in turn, help those business teams execute on Gilead's mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.Specific Responsibilities and SkillsAs head of the Foster City contracts team, this individual will be responsible for, among other things:
Requirements:In light of these responsibilities, the ideal candidate would have:
- leading and driving strategy on the team's and the company's contracting processes, including the adoption of contracting best practices and technology tools;
- maintaining and improving productive and efficient ways of working with a wide range of cross-functional colleagues and subject-matter experts;
- partnering with senior management throughout the company to ensure smooth, efficient, practical and quality coordination between the business and legal teams on contract processes;
- advising on and resolving contract negotiation escalations and potential contract disputes; and
- thoughtfully managing and developing a large team of contract professionals working on an important client-facing team.
- expertise in drafting, negotiating and interpreting a wide range of commercial and vendor agreements, such as master services agreement, material transfer agreements, Saas agreements, data licenses, consulting agreements and confidentiality agreements;
- experience developing and implementing contract processes and knowledge resources, such as contract templates, playbooks, back-up provisions, client guidances, and team and client training materials;
- experience managing a large team of contract and subject matter legal professionals;
- excellent analytical, problem solving, written and presentation skills;
- a high degree of client service orientation and ability to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent, complex situations and demanding clients;
- ability to lead and manage short-term and long-term project teams;
- willingness and ability to coordinate activities of many stakeholders across various departments, not only within the company's headquarters in Foster City, but also throughout the company's international organization;
- experience using a contract lifecycle management software (e.g., Apttus);
- knowledge of Gilead's business and the pharmaceutical industry in general,
- in-house legal experience;
- knowledge of regulations governing pharmaceutical industry, and patent laws;
- sufficient understanding of research and science to liaise effectively with scientists;
- 14+ years of prior industry or law firm experience providing transaction-based legal counsel and negotiating contracts;
- 10+ years of commercial agreement transactional experience;
- Experience management people Managers;
- a Juris Doctorate or equivalent advanced degree from a nationally accredited law school; and
- admission to applicable state bar, registration as in-house counsel, or ability to gain admission or registration for either in applicable state within 90 days.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.