Myovant Sciences aspires to be the leading healthcare company focused on innovative treatments for women’s health and prostate cancer designed to improve the lives of millions. We are on a mission to redefine care for women and for men through purpose-driven science, empowering medicines, and transformative advocacy. We are looking for passionate and enthusiastic individuals who share our excitement for this mission.
We are currently seeking a dynamic, highly motivated, and experienced individual for the position of Head of Policy & Public Affairs located at our Brisbane office or remote. The Head of Policy & Public Affairs will be responsible for establishing and managing our healthcare policy strategy and staff to optimize the impact of external public policy forces for the success of the business and care of the patients treated with Myovant therapies. S/He will be responsible for setting the vision and strategy for Myovant's thought-leading public policy agenda; establish a center of excellence for horizon-scanning and insights that connect the business with policy trends, opportunities and inform business strategy; and strategic assessments and development of policy advocacy plans with stakeholders, governments and industry trade associations. The plans will aim to shape the external public policy climate, optimize the political and regulatory environment, engage third parties, and ensure business strategy is based on strong understanding of patient and healthcare system needs and expectations and enhancing trust and reputation of the company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Role will oversee the development and implementation of an integrated and regional healthcare policy and inform government affairs strategies. S/He will work to assure measurable outcomes on priority company items.
- Proactively provide input and guidance on development of the company strategic and operational plans regarding major external public policy and stakeholder forces, including appropriate business responses.
- Build and manage capabilities, including developing a dossier of win win policies and a fact base of materials for internal and external use to accomplish healthcare policy and external affairs strategies including leading programs and resources in government affairs, lobbying, public policy, policy advocacy communications, relationship building and political engagement. S/He will work to assure that capabilities are appropriate for each market and share best practices and resources occurs as appropriate across markets.
- Develop and lead internal cross-functional policy teams as policy issues impact most major areas of the company.
- Lead the strategy and execution of joint public affairs initiatives with our business alliances in the United States, Europe and other markets.
- S/He will develop and assure execution of strategies to achieve valuable stakeholder policy relations with government, customers, patient groups, payors and third-party allies. The relationship program will allow the company to influence policy decisions that are highly impactful to the company and to be recognized as an advocacy champion, which will demonstrate its commitment to patient access and its thought leadership. Many of the relationships will be at the highest levels of these categories.
- Represent company in interactions with external political, policy NGO and trade association organizations within the one Myovant “one voice” approach
- Support trade association activities, including coordination of briefing books, participate on association committees/working groups, and support internal coordination of trade association activities; and provide support and strategic guidance to business executives on industry boards (i.e., BIO, California Life Sciences, Ex US associations at regional and country level)
- Support and inform building network of key external stakeholders who can support strategic policy objectives.
- Support education of Board of Directors, Executive Committee, franchise teams and other departments on external trends and development of effective policy and government affairs strategies
- Travel to California, Basel, Switzerland, Washington, DC and other markets is expected.
- Demonstrate communication and collaboration skills with an ability to manage and influence stakeholders in a matrix environment effectively
- Exercise good judgment and make decision that is appropriate for the organization
- Results-driven, take initiative and ownership to accomplish work
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and embrace change in a dynamic, rapidly growing environment
- Strive for continuous improvement and embrace innovative ideas in daily work
- Strong political grasp with proven track record of effective leadership, including cross-functional leadership of policy strategies and programs to support business objectives and build trust
- Understanding the external environment and political decision-making process. Skilled judgement on positioning and tone of sensitive and complex issues is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze policy issues and environment, and to communicate policy research and analysis findings to a variety of non-expert audiences both written and orally.
- S/He will be a high-energy, strategic thinker with proven leadership and communication skills, significant managerial experience, and well-developed bipartisan advocacy skills.
- Thought leader with track record to formulate and integrate functional strategies with corporate objectives and translate them into actionable deliverables.
- High degree of organizational awareness, ability to connect the dots to understand all the interdependency and big picture
- Organizational leadership and management experience, the ability to motivate others to advance goals, and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects or roles in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Ability to navigate high-impact, high-risk and complex situations.
- An eagerness to execute a hands-on approach to build credibility, relationships, and knowledge within the company.
- Demonstrated track record of working with and earning the trust and confidence of high-profile corporate leaders or governmental or social leaders and serving as a trusted advisor/counselor.
- A collaborative style: interactive with the courage and conviction to challenge and defend ideas and strategies; ability to offer creative pathways or alternative solutions both internally and externally.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Experience in creating and managing complex projects.
REQUIREMENTS (Education and Experience)
- Bachelor of Arts/Science/Business in Liberal Arts, Science, Business
- A master's in public health, public policy, international affairs, political science, and/or a Law degree or other advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum 18+ years of relevant experience in biotech or pharmaceutical industry
- Successful candidate will possess at least 15 years of senior management experience in healthcare policy with expertise in US federal and state issues, including Medicare, Medicaid; and international markets, including Europe. Public sector political and legislative experience combined with corporate healthcare tenure needed.
The well-being and safety of our employees is our top priority. Myovant Sciences requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment regardless of location of role (field-based, fully remote or site-based). Fully vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. If you are unable to be vaccinated, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
If you require any accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity