4D Molecular Therapeutics, Inc. (“4DMT”) is a clinical-stage gene therapy company pioneering the development of product candidates using targeted and evolved AAV vectors. 4DMT seeks to unlock the full potential of gene therapy using its platform, Therapeutic Vector Evolution, which combines the power of directed evolution with approximately one billion synthetic capsid sequences to invent evolved vectors for use in targeted gene therapy products. The company is initially focused in three therapeutic areas: ophthalmology, cardiology, and pulmonology. The 4DMT targeted and evolved vectors are invented with the goal of being delivered through clinically routine, well-tolerated and minimally invasive routes of administration, transducing diseased cells in target tissues efficiently, having reduced immunogenicity and, where relevant, having resistance to pre-existing antibodies. 4DMT has five active clinical trials: 4D-150 is a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for Wet AMD, 4D-125 is in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for XLRP, 4D-110 is in a Phase 1 clinical trial for Choroideremia, 4D-310 is in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for Fabry disease and 4D-710 is a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for Cystic Fibrosis.
4DMT is focused on attracting and retaining the best people in the industry who identify with our mission and innovative results-driven approach. We offer an inspiring and collaborative environment that encourages individual contributions, recognizes performance in multiple ways, offers competitive salary and benefits, and provides challenging opportunities for career development. 4D Molecular Therapeutics is located in Emeryville, CA.
This position will become part of the newly formed Immunology Department. The mission of the Immunology Department is to develop and implement fit-for-purpose strategies and methodologies to monitor immune responses to 4DMT’s therapeutics in vitro and in vivo; to understand the potential impact of immunogenicity on safety and efficacy; and when applicable, to develop and implement appropriate approaches to manage such immune responses with the goal to maximize patients’ benefit. This role will interact and collaborate with multiple functions at 4DMT, including but not limited to Biomarkers, Product Development, Clinical Science and Operations, and CMC.
Develop and Perform In Vitro Immunogenicity Assays: 50% of the TIME
- Perform standard in vitro immunogenicity assays using primary human cells evaluating adaptive T and B cell responses to 4DMT AAV vectors and their transgenes.
- Establish functional assays using primary human NK cells, macrophages, and other effector cells of the innate immune system to investigate activating properties of 4DMT vectors.
- Implement innovative in vitro assays to measure complement and Pattern Recognition Receptors such as TLR2 & TLR9 activating properties of 4DMT vectors.
- Develop and validate platforms such as 3D lymphoid organoids for assessing the immunogenic potential of AAV vectors and transgenes.
- Work closely with the Biomarker Group and contribute to high-priority work requiring assay development and molecular biology support.
Establish and Manage Immunogenicity Research Projects with CROs: 25% of TIME
- Identify and select CROs that will provide the best service in terms of technology, timeline, and cost for the study objectives.
- Develop immunogenicity study plans with CRO by writing SOWs and negotiating timelines and budgets.
- Monitor and review the progress of the study and provide regular updates to supervisor and stakeholders.
- Review, summarize and provide recommendations after the conclusion of the study to the supervisor and stakeholders.
Represent Immunology in Internal Project Team Meetings: 25% of TIME
- Act as liaison for the Immunology department in project team meetings and if deemed appropriate lead pre-clinical technology projects.
- Working with Immunology head, providing input on immunogenicity risk assessment and management in project leaders.
- Communicate to project leaders fit-for-purpose and stage-appropriate immunogenicity assessment strategies and approaches for preclinical and development projects.
- Ph.D. in Immunology with preferred specialization within innate immunology, viral immunology, or transplantation immunology
- Minimum of 2 years of direct experience in cellular immunology research within academia, biotech, or large pharma industry
- Experience in cell-based assay development - Preferred
- Familiar with bioinformatics - Preferred
- Expertise in the handling of human PBMC, isolation, and culture of T, B, and NK cells, monocytes, macrophage, and dendritic cells.
- High-level competency in flow cytometry, ELISpot, Luminex or equivalent, and co-culture activation techniques.
- Competency in basic molecular biology and biochemical techniques including PCR and ELISA.
- Strong statistical analysis and data interpretation skills.
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work in a team setting
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Physical Requirements of the Role: (for more information on examples - https://tmhra.org/ADAToolkit/5-WriteADA-JobDescrip.pdf )
During COVID-19 this person needs to be in a lab
- 4 days in the lab, 5 days in the office
- Adhere to 4DMT Covid protocols and policy
4DMT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, status as a covered veteran, and any other category protected under applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Attention: Search Firms / 3rd Party Recruitment Agencies*
The Talent Acquisition / HR team manages the recruiting for all positions at 4D Molecular Therapeutics. We will only accept resumes from a search agency/recruiter if we have a signed agreement in place and the Talent Acquisition / HR team has formally requested your help on a specific role. Unsolicited resumes sent to 4D Molecular Therapeutics will be considered property of 4D Molecular Therapeutics. 4D Molecular Therapeutics will not be responsible for any fees associated should we hire from unsolicited resumes.
Recruiters are requested not to contact or present candidates directly to our hiring managers or employees, and doing so may jeopardize eligibility to work on future positions. Recruiters interested in working with 4D Molecular Therapeutics can submit their information to firstname.lastname@example.org– should we have a tough-to-fill role, we will contact you directly if you specialize in that area.