The Director of Software Engineering will be responsible for the design and development of software to support a novel diagnostic platform. The primary responsibility is to lead the software architecture and development of a home-based product platform and adjunct software (e.g., mobile apps, data collection, cybersecurity) to support it. The successful candidate must possess advanced knowledge in software engineering and have experience driving the completion of projects of high complexity, ideally in FDA regulated environments. To succeed, the candidate must have well developed leadership qualities and exhibit creativity, foresight, and mature judgment. The candidate must have excellent organizational skills, including the ability to evaluate, prioritize, and handle multiple subprojects and priorities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Lead and manage software development to deliver innovative, high quality solutions.
- Manage a mix of external partner software development and internal software engineers.
- Hire and manage an internal software development team
- Design and implement software architectures for hand-held, integrated medical systems comprised of signal processing, algorithms, script sequences for automated microfluidic control, apps, and cloud connectivity.
- Experience with system engineering and system test activities.
- Closely work with hardware, software and UX design teams to capture and implement design needs.
- Develop and implement a software quality and test process to include code reviews, unit and integration tests (using automation as possible) and release processes.
- Develop, write and review software requirements, design specifications and test plans.
- Able to write clean, maintainable, and unit testable code.
- Communicate with Impact
- Decision Making & Problem Solving
- Taking Initiative and Follow-up
- Planning and Organizing
- Project Management
- Building Effective Partnerships
- Team Building
- Business Acumen
- Coaching & Development
- Change Leadership
- Technical Skills/Professional Knowledge
- Office, laboratories, engineering prototype shop
- The physical demands require the ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Occasional and up to 5% travel
Required Education and Experience:
- BS or MS in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science required
- Minimum 12 years of industry experience in software development as or as part of complex products, ideally FDA regulated.
- Knowledge of IEC 62304 and IEC 62366 is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience managing software development teams
- Proven track record of leading Agile development teams and projects required
- A minimum of 5 years hands-on experience with Java, .Net, JIRA, source control, unit testing and test automation frameworks.
- Experience designing, developing and maintaining mobile applications and user interfaces, preferably for medical devices
- Experience developing IoT, Bluetooth, and/or WiFi communications interfaces and encrypted cloud database
- Experience designing, developing and maintaining on-instrument software, from hardware drivers through data management, communication interfaces, and user interface
- Experience designing for communication with electronic medical records and/or laboratory information systems is preferred
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Highly motivated and independent, with the ability to work in a dynamic team environment
- Understands the use of agile and Scrum methods
Work Authorization/Security-Clearance Requirements:
Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement:
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are not merely trendy buzz words to us; they are part of our core values. We are committed to creating a community of well-rounded professionals from all ethnicities, nationalities, educational backgrounds, and genders. This “melting pot” of differences is what fosters ideas and innovations. Our beliefs span beyond our walls and into the world, as reflected in outreach to various underserved domestic and global communities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Sherlock requires employees to be fully vaccinated pursuant to Company policy (policy allows for potential exemptions for medical or religious reasons, consult with Human Resources for more information).