Director, Strategic Planning & Operations - Chief of Staff
The Chief of Staff will partner with the Specialty Development VP to drive and implement the vision of the organization. In this role, you will lead and implement various strategic planning processes across the organization, identify needs and provide recommendations to the VP in supporting the achievement of corporate goals while responding effectively to changing priorities. Represents your organization’s priorities and collaborate cross-functionally within Development and other Chief of Staff.
- Strategic scope: strategic thinking, strong leadership, and personal drive to undertake key responsibilities of the role.
- Operational scope: flawless planning, execution, proactiveness ensuring business impact.
- All for One AbbVie: stakeholder management, collaborate across multiple disciplines and initiatives with organizational/enterprise impact.
- Serves as Chief of Staff for the Specialty Development VP by independently representing VPs views. Communicates clearly, concisely, and in timely fashion items that require the VP’s attention.
- Oversees strategic business initiatives from ideation to implementation. Provides to the Specialty Development VP strategic and operational options for the department, including contingency planning. Responsible for supporting strategic projects and resource maps including LRP and Plan.
- Serves as the finance liaison between their specific organization and our Finance team to ensure strategic and operational management of the budget planning and tracking.
- Works with VP and team leaders to identify, prioritize and cultivate meaningful external collaborations with key stakeholders (e.g. Consortia) to generate, collect and synthesis insights to support/inform strategy development.
- Manages and serves as point of contact for external contracts aligned with AbbVie’s collaborations - forging strategic partnerships with industry and top-tier academic institutions, initiates discussions with those, guides Transaction team during negotiations, and upon contract execution, drives all key components of external collaborations to ensure adherence to timelines and budgets.
- Leads and drives the resource modeling for their team (in partnership with the Operations Management team in CDO) to ensure efficient and effective allocation of resources (dynamically track workload and resource capacity).
- Leads, executes, and supports World-class R&D/enterprise initiatives – works across the matrix driving Development priorities resulting in operational efficiencies, enhancing culture and/or improving decision-making in the organization (initiatives/priorities include process improvement, change management and other ad-hoc initiatives).
- Provides insights and analysis to team members on company’s operational model.
- Develops and maintains business relationships among functional areas across AbbVie (Finance, Business HR, Talent Acquisition, etc) and in partnership with them, implement frameworks and ensure functional expertise, capabilities, and that resources & budget are available and leveraged appropriately through the portfolio.
- Responsible for functional communication and meeting planning within the department (including logistics, planning and execution of key internal/external meetings, governance, and forums).
- Triangulates onboarding with manager and new employee.
- Partners with leadership to deliver, monitor and communicate progress towards goals.
- Works with the organization staff to enhance culture, identify issues and partners with VP/Leaders and BHR to find workable solutions – including Employee survey action planning and tracking.
- Engages and partners with other Chief of Staff for various initiatives and to build key capabilities in the organization.
- Advanced Degree or equivalent job experience required. Scientific knowledge and at least ten years of industry experience in Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, or other Healthcare related field
- Experience & Knowledge: Proven ability to lead, influence, manage, and motivate others in a complex, multi-functional matrix environment
- Broad understanding of the pharmaceutical business, project management/project planning experience on global projects.
- Professional collaboration and leadership skills, excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, ability to effectively present ideas and document complex clinical concepts and processes in both written and oral communication.
- History of anticipating and resolving problems while exhibiting superior judgment and a balanced, realistic understanding of issues
- Knowledge to represent and evaluate strategies for clinical development.
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Practices (GCP), FDA regulations and guidelines, and international regulatory requirements/guidelines. Understanding of how to conceptualize, design, and conduct complex, global clinical trials. Understanding of new drug commercialization and business practices.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.