Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I: Job Summary
Emergent BioSolutions is seeking a dynamic Senior Director, Corporate Development to lead Emergent’s Vaccine M&A/Business Development (BD) activities, with responsibility for the identification and execution against commercial and R&D stage M&A/BD opportunities that will expand Emergent’s vaccine portfolio in line with future enterprise strategic growth objectives. Role will require a balance of leadership and support across all aspects of a transaction (idea generation through valuation, due diligence, negotiations/transaction structuring, approval and integration planning) across a range of different transaction structures (e.g., acquisition, licensing, strategic partnerships, alliance and joint ventures). This individual should possess strong business acumen and experience in the life sciences and biopharmaceutical industry, combined with a strong understanding and experience of M&A/BD processes from origination through to execution. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with multiple internal stakeholders to facilitate highly visible and time-sensitive M&A/BD projects is also critical.
Role will report into VP, Corporate Development and will also offer the candidate high visibility throughout the organization, including working with the C-suite and other senior level team members. Based on performance, the candidate will also have the opportunity for increased levels of responsibility, career growth and development.
• Work with senior management and business line leads to define Vaccine M&A/business development targeting strategy that supports the enterprise growth strategy
• Lead search and evaluation to identify and evaluate acquisitions targets, strategic partnerships, in licensing and other corporate opportunities
• Oversee and maintain a deal pipeline, track market M&A activity, and lead preparation of routine and ad hoc presentations and reporting packages for senior management and board review
• Lead and support the M&A/BD deal process, which includes:
- Lead transaction planning and execution, including business and confirmatory due diligence and communicating updates to senior management
- Management of cross functional teams or both internal and external stakeholders as part of the due diligence process
- Lead project team interactions with functional representatives, and supporting third parties (e.g., bankers).
- Lead and manage the development, drafting, and execution of project team deliverables and recommendations to senior management and board
- Ensure robustness of the overall M&A/BD process and execute under sensitive timelines
• Develop deal structures that are relevant for the risks and value or each opportunity
• Drive valuation modelling and ensure compliance with corporate valuation methodology and acquisition criteria specific to each transaction
• Lead or assist in negotiating transactions and communicate key deal issues, risks, and updates to leadership and senior internal stakeholders, including collaborating with Legal in drafting and revision of contracts
• Manage integration planning activities in an orderly and timely manner
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by those in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
III: Education, Experience & Skills
• General business acumen, project management, and change management skills to lead M&A/BD and integration processes.
• A minimum of 8 years’ M&A, business development, strategy or investment experience, with at least 4 of these years in life sciences and biopharmaceuticals and at least 4 years of relevant transaction experience (e.g., deal origination, managing, negotiating, and execution of M&A/BD deals)
• Ability to assess opportunities across a range of disease area, research and technology platforms, and collaboration structures, including an ability to integrate scientific knowledge into business model. Experience in vaccine development and commercializing is desired but not required
• Ability to analyze and understand sales forecasts, P&Ls, risk analyses, and company valuations, strong understanding of discounted cash flow, net present value, internal rates of return and risk analysis techniques
• Experience interfacing with all levels within an organization including senior executives in addressing M&A/BD transactions
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects efficiently with a high degree of independence
• Must possess intellectual curiosity and be a self-starter who is prepared to undertake all projects with a sense of urgency and work in a self-directed manner.
• Strong negotiation capabilities: ability to persuade/influence and effectively gain agreement/consensus
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to demonstrate clear, concise articulation of proposed actions, illustrating opportunity, risks and alternative options.
• Ability to engage, motivate and collaborate within a matrixed, multidisciplinary environment and to operate with cross-functional resources.
• Bachelor's degree required, ideally in a scientific, technical or quantitative field. An MBA or other relevant graduate degree would be beneficial.
While physical presence at the Emergent HQ (Gaithersburg, MD) is desired, remote working role with the requirement to travel Emergent HQ as needed will also be considered
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.