Senior Research Scientist, siRNA/mRNA Design and Drug Discovery
Reporting To: Sr. Director, Research
Nitto BioPharma Inc is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of novel RNA-based therapeutics for intractable diseases. We are currently seeking a talented, highly motivated and independent research scientist with extensive bioinformatics and RNA design experience to join our R&D team. The successful candidate is expected to lead the efforts of siRNA/mRNA drug design, to evaluate the activities of the newly designed RNA drugs in different biological systems, and, as one of key team members, to be actively engaged in the drug discovery activities to address unmet medical needs.
Major Job Functions
· Lead the efforts on design, modification and optimization of siRNA and/or mRNA drugs for different therapeutic programs
· Evaluate the activities of the siRNA and/or mRNA drugs using appropriate biological systems, screen and identify the leads
· Develop novel approaches for siRNA and/or mRNA modifications for potential drug development
· Mine tangible drug targets from public databases and propose to drug discovery team
· Present research progress internally and externally and write study reports. Contribute to preparation of IP and IND filings
· Work closely with cross-functional team members on multiple projects simultaneously
Education and Experience requirements
· Ph.D. in biology or chemistry with at least 8 years of therapeutic siRNA and/or mRNA design experience and established knowledge in the aera of design of pharmacologically active siRNA and/or mRNA
· Deep knowledge of related public databases, algorithm and tools/software
· Demonstrated expertise in functional genomics, molecular phenotypic profiling, and chemistry
· Thorough knowledge of working with siRNA and/or mRNA screening.
· A good understanding of the basic pharmacology principles of nucleic acid therapies in term of their efficacy, pharmacokinetics and toxicity
· Demonstrated innovation with track record in molecular design of novel RNA therapeutics with an ability to be creative and take a proactive approach to problem-solving
· Ability and desire to work collaboratively on inter-disciplinary projects that span the chemical, analytical, formulation, and biological sciences
· Strong publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals
· Proven interpersonal and written/oral communication skills
***Level of the position is flexible and commensurate based on candidate’s experience
Physical Job Requirements: Mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy in effect.
Office/Lab environment. Lifting to 20 pounds may be required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use their hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. They are required to stand, walk or sit, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus.
Disclaimer: This job description reflects management's assignment of essential job duties; and nothing in this herein restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
Nitto BioPharma, Inc. is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company located in San Diego focused on the discovery and development of novel RNA-based therapeutics for intractable diseases. Nitto BioPharma offers unique RNA drug and its delivery solutions by designing novel biodegradable drug delivery systems with the ability to target specific cells and efficiently deliver the cargo into the cells. Clinical assets include two Phase 2 clinical programs, a first-in-class drug for the treatment of liver fibrosis (with Bristol-Myers Squibb), and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, as well as a Phase 1 oncology program to treat non-small cell lung cancer.
Nitto BioPharma's mission is to develop and deliver innovative life-transforming therapies for patients with unmet medical needs. Leveraging the long-standing success and track record of Nitto Denko Corporation (Nitto), Nitto BioPharma has created a new and efficient business unit that allows pharmaceutical products to be brought to market at a fast pace. Our long-term vision and unparalleled, multi-disciplinary team of researchers from all over the globe make Nitto BioPharma a vibrant and exciting work environment.
Nitto BioPharma is a key asset of Nitto. Since its establishment in 1918, Nitto has created over 13,500 products based on its core technologies and has contributed to customers' value creation with innovative ideas. The core of Nitto's life science business consists of contract manufacturing and drug discovery.