ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, validate, and conduct in vitro biological and immunological assays for the pharmacological characterization of new small molecule drug candidates for multiple research programs. Screen compounds in single concentration and concentration-response schemes, analyze and report data.
- Design and conduct in vivo studies for evaluating new drug candidates and current investigational drugs for efficacy in disease models and pharmacokinetics in rodents Conduct cell-based assays to enable drug discovery efforts.
- Conduct cell-based to measure the functional consequences of inhibition of diverse targets, including signaling pathways, enzyme activities, and protein and mRNA levels; assays include ELISA, Western blot analysis, real-time PCR, etc.
- Participates in technology development in biology. Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories.
- Directs and maintains Biosafety Containment II Area within the tissue culture facility.
- Conducts non-GLP pilot studies and prepares reports for potential drug candidates.
- Assists director in Protocol development and related reports for preclinical studies.
- Implements procedures for monitoring projects in-house and with contract facilities to inform management of current project status.
- Establishes collaboration and communication cross-functionally with Chemistry, Bioanalytical, Biology, and Drug Development groups to ensure appropriate guidelines and procedures are adhered to maintain and facilitate the completion of company goals and objectives.
- All other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ph.D. (or an equivalent combination of education and experience) in immunology, biochemistry, or pharmacology with a proven track record of publication. Scientists with industrial experience are welcome to apply.
- In-depth knowledge and working experience in immunology, drug development, molecular biology, protein chemistry, and cell biology.
- Preferable to have hands-on experience with rodent animal model establishment and drug-related studies.
- Effective problem-solving and interpersonal skills with independent thinking and troubleshooting ability.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrate leadership, organizational, and project management skills with flexibility in working with organizations and/or partners with different cultures, values, mindsets, and approaches.
- Detailed-oriented with meticulous oversight, coordination, and tracking abilities. Ability to work independently under limited supervision. Ability to invest time, as required, and expedites and/or complete assignments whenever necessary to meet corporate objectives.
- Ability to work in a challenging environment with frequent interruptions, changing priorities and deadlines, and willingness to take on difficult tasks with a can-do attitude.
- Must be able to lift 10 to 15 lbs (tanks, solutions, etc).
The statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. The manager may assign additional responsibilities and assignments from time to time.
At BioCryst, we are passionate about advancing novel therapeutics for patients with rare and serious diseases. Our structure-guided drug design process leads us to the discovery and development of novel small-molecule drugs. We integrate traditional biology and medicinal chemistry along with a wide array of advanced technologies to understand the three-dimensional structures of active sites of target enzymes. Our scientists then design molecular structures to create bespoke drugs for patients. We focus on therapeutic areas with either no available treatments or large unmet patient needs. BioCryst’s US headquarters are located in Durham, North Carolina, our European headquarters in Dublin, Ireland and our Discovery Center of Excellence in Birmingham, Alabama. We are proud of our culture of engagement and accountability that rewards people for innovative thinking and achievement of key objectives. For more information, please visit the Company’s website at www.biocryst.com.
BioCryst is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to age, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, Veterans status, disability and/or other protected class characteristics. Additionally, BioCryst is committed to achieving its business objectives in compliance with all federal, state and local law.