What You Will Achieve
We are seeking an enthusiastic Senior Associate Scientist level to join the Translational Sciences Immunopharmacology group within the Oncology Research Unit (ORU) of Pfizer’s Worldwide Research & Development (WRD) division in La Jolla, California. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of scientists, playing a leading role in the characterization of models of cancer and evaluating new immune-oncology drug candidates. Participate in pre-clinical drug discovery and development projects with a focus on immune-oncology and the tumor microenvironment. Characterize and develop small and large molecules in close collaboration with partner lines as an integral member of drug discovery teams. Employ and develop new cutting-edge in vivo cancer models and provide technical and scientific expertise in in vivo pharmacology to the Oncology Research Unit to enable target identification, validation, prioritization, and efficient drug discovery of small and large molecules.
Working as a key member of an in vivo team, perform a range of in vivo studies that generate critical project data for project teams. The Sr. Associate Scientist is a technical and scientific specialist in the conduct of oncology in vivo studies and will be responsible for: study planning, scheduling and execution, sample preparation and collection, appropriate documentation and accurate exporting, formatting and presenting data for multidisciplinary project teams. The in vivo Sr. Associate Scientist will work collaboratively with all in vivo team members and project teams to understand their needs, obtain the necessary approvals and deliver in a timely and efficient manner.
Ideal applicants will have excellent communication and organizational skills, critical problem-solving abilities, strong independence and a commitment to excellence.How You Will Achieve It
- Assist/Conduct in vivo studies to evaluate and establish efficacy, PK/PD relationship, combination strategy, biomarker identification and analysis.
- Interpretation, presentation and documentation of experiments.
- Presentation of results within a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Regularly read scientific papers and implement learnings in the study designs or project strategies.
- Perform ancillary in vitro and ex vivo assays to characterize effects of experimental medicines that may include FACS, scRNAseq or other assays as needed.
- Ensure appropriate use of animals in compliance with all regulatory requirements and internal standards
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, Immunology, Oncology or similar, with 3+ years’ relevant experience or Masters with 0-1 years’ experience.
- Current knowledge of oncology, immunology, and immune-oncology, research, drug discovery and development.
- Experience with animal models of human cancers.
- Hands on in vivo skills (IV, PO, SC, IP dosing), blood/tissue collection.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills. Proficiency in all common office and scientific software.
- Ability to follow novel scientific or technological developments and to implement them in the laboratory.
- Strong ability to multi-task and work productively in a fast-paced, highly collaborative and diverse team environment.
- Capability to contribute to a vivid and challenging intellectual environment.
- Ex vivo skills such as FACS or Western blot are a plus
- Lifting, sitting, standing, walking, bending, ability to perform mathematical calculations and ability to perform complex data analysis
Other Job Details
- Work Location Assignment:On Premise. On Premise colleagues work in a Pfizer site because it’s needed to get their job done. They may have flexibility to work remotely from time to time, but they are primarily on-site.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development