About the role
Sana Biotechnology has an exciting opportunity for a Scientist to Senior Scientist, Analytical Chemistry to advance Sana’s novel gene and cell therapy programs. You will develop physiochemical methods for the characterization of novel viral vectors, gene editing reagents and residual process related impurities. This role provides the opportunity to work closely with Technical Operations colleagues in upstream, downstream and pharmaceutical development with the goal of developing robust biomanufacturing processes and formulations and contributing to the deeper understanding of our products and their impurity profiles. You will represent AD on internal, cross functional teams and with external collaborators. You will demonstrate innovation and resourcefulness by leveraging internal capabilities and external collaborators to bring cutting edge technologies to Sana.
What you’ll do
- Develop robust analytical methods for characterizing intermediates, drug substances/products and measuring residual impurities including proteins, nucleic acids, viral vectors, particulates and small molecules
- Initiate and lead efforts to bring new analytical technologies on site through utilization of internal resources/expertise and collaboration with external vendors
- Conceive, drive and execute analytical development initiatives that address challenges, enable bioprocess development and provide a deeper understanding of our products and processes
- Represent analytical development on external and internal teams
- Serve as a subject matter expert for one or more analytical techniques
- Overcome obstacles (time constraints, material limitations and instrumental capabilities) through creative solutions, collaboration and problem solving
What we’re looking for
- PhD in scientific discipline and up to 2+ yrs academic or industry experience. BA and/or MS plus 7+ yrs or equivalent combination of education and work experience; strong knowledge of required principals and concepts with understanding of context for application
- Demonstrated ability to design, execute, and analyze complex experiments with statistical analysis and scientific rigor
- Hands-on experience with different types of analytical methods such as HPLC, LC-MS, GC-MS, CE, qPCR, ddPCR etc for quantitative analysis of various analytes (proteins, nucleic acids, small molecules)
- Experience with biophysical methods for counting particles and measuring their size distribution
- Excellent verbal and written communicate skills for technical and non-technical audiences
- Detail oriented, data-driven, self-motivated, independent, adaptable, and able to prioritize and manage several projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a valued colleague in cross-functional teams.
What will separate you from the crowd
- Analytical development experience at a cell and gene therapy company
- Experienced with method validation and transfer to QC
- Contributed to regulatory filings by authoring sections and generating data and source documents
- Managed activities at CMO’s and contract testing labs
- Familiarity with relevant guidance documents and GMP principles
- Familiarity with plate-based assays such as ELISA, and Western Blots
- Demonstrated leadership for effective project management and supervisory aptitude / experience to enable potential expansion of responsibility to include direct reports
What you should know
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.