Everything we do is in pursuit of changing lives.
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science, and engineering. Our goal is to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, which combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets. We combine that with the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company.
We have created a highly-scalable, automated laboratory robotics workflow that enables us to conduct up to 1.5 million experiments each week for up to 50 weeks per year with only a small team overseeing our processes at any given time. Every step of every experiment is monitored and measured, creating a comprehensive layer of meta-data that is critical for interpretation and analysis in our Recursion Map.
While we are united in a common mission, Decoding Biology to Radically Improve Lives, our greatest strength lies in our differences: expertise, gender, race, disciplines, experience and perspectives. Deliberately building and cultivating this culture is critical to achieving our audacious goals.
Recursion Pharmaceuticals is at the forefront of re-imagining drug discovery through the integration of automated cell biology, generation of high-dimensional and diverse data sets, and sophisticated analytics. We are seeking a Production Research Associate to work on human iPSC derived neural cell types, molecular and functional characterizations, and developing relevant disease models.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Perform in vitro cell culture in small, moderate and production scale systems providing critical cellular reagents to meet screening platform need
- Enable Recursion to build Maps of Biology by isolating, expanding and banking mammalian cell types for use in screens that incorporate CRISPR editing and gene delivery methods at scale.
- Execute experiments with careful attention to detail, consistency, and documentation.
- Collaborate with our biological and computational science teams to develop the most efficient path to success across all of our laboratory assays.
- Experience a state-of-the-art-cell culture facility deploying the latest in cell culture technology while working in an interactive, multidisciplinary operational team.
- Train team members to perform newly developed methods for scale to enable 100’s of 1536-well microplates screened per week
- Collaborate with data scientists, computational biologists, chemists, and clinical strategists across the organization to develop Recursion's data-to-therapeutic pipeline to discover new impactful medicines and ultimately serve patients
***This position may require an occasional weekend day, which in turn you will have a flex day off in the following weeks.***
The Team You’ll Join
You’ll join the High-throughput Tissue Culture Core Facility Team (HTS TC) within Recursion’s Core Operations Department. This team provides high-quality, consistent cells for Recursion’s High Throughput Screening (HTS) and Biology efforts in support of drug discovery and development. The HTS TC Core is involved in the translation, scale and banking of critical cell culture resources. In this position you’ll play an essential role in identifying drug candidates by producing the cellular resources needed to perform thousands of high-content screens per year. You’ll work on projects and will evaluate, implement, and improve upon large-scale, human cell culture systems capable of producing billions of cells per week. On any given day, you will perform the in vitro culture of mammalian cells across a variety of cell types, assay formats, and media conditions while employing exceptional aseptic technique. Your work will significantly increase the speed of our drug discovery platform and will help us achieve our mission of decoding biology to radically improve lives.
The Experience You’ll Need
- BS with 1+ years in-vitro cell culture production experience; OR MS with in-vitro cell culture production experience
- Demonstrated and/or practiced aseptic technique
- Experience with the manipulation of primary or immortalized mammalian cells in culture
- Experience with cell culture techniques and cell-based assays
- Ability to apply quality control measures of success across intermediate and differentiated cell populations
- A passion for working in a fast-paced environment where you’ll leverage creativity and independent thinking when deriving, expanding, banking and genetically perturbing challenging human cell types
- Demonstrated capacity to independently manage and coordinate scientific projects
- Efficient and effective communication of research findings and interpretation in written and verbal form
- An interactive, team-oriented style to support the production of high-quality, consistent cells
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.