At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We seek an enthusiastic, collaborative computational biologist with strong expertise in applied machine learning to explore clinical and translational research questions in cellular immunotherapy research and deliver high-impact insights that progress our CAR T programs. The successful applicant is expected to play a key role partnering with clinical development and translational research teams to help innovate next generation cellular therapies.
The candidate will closely collaborate with Clinical Development colleagues in Seattle, San Francisco, and New Jersey, and work cross-functionally with global IPS,Research and Early Development (R&ED) Immuno-Oncology and Cellular Therapy Thematic Research Center (IO/CT TRC),Cell Therapy Development and Operations (CTD/CTO), and Global Biometrics and Data Science (GBDS) colleagues. Keen interest and hands-on expertise in the inter-disciplinary application of advanced statistical learning methods to life sciences and clinical datasets are imperative. We are deeply passionate about what we do here at BMS because we know that our work helps deliver truly innovative and life-changing therapies for complex diseases of unmet medical need—if this inspires you as well, we’re excited to have you join us!
As a senior team member working in collaboration with key stakeholders, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Strategizing and leading statistical modeling efforts to inform combination prioritization, clinical trial design, and patient stratification within and across heme-oncology indications
- Collaborating with stakeholders to devise and execute analytical plans that address CAR T program objectives and go/no-go decisions
- Pushing the boundaries of computational research in CAR T by developing or applying innovative methodologies that deepen our understanding of the technology for patient benefit
- Providing leadership and analytical expertise in cross-functional project teams passionate about developing the next generation of cell therapies
- Clearly communicating statistical analyses to stakeholders across the cell therapy franchise and reverse-translating key learnings to early R&ED programs
- Co-authoring conference abstracts, scientific posters, and journal article publications
- Mentoring and developing junior colleagues
Background experience & complementary knowledge
- PhD degree in computational biology, statistics, machine learning, or related discipline with 6 - 8+ years relevant experience with anemphasis on Machine Learning approaches for clinical biomarker research, including (but not limited to) tree-based classifiers, dimension reduction techniques, clustering methods, and time-series analyses
- Demonstrated ability to derive insights from high-dimensional data using statistical learning approaches with readable, reproducible, and efficient code
- Expertise in R and/or Python for data manipulation and implementation of statistical models
- Experience with clinical data (SDTM/ADaM) and/or biological data sources (protein assays, flow cytometry, RNA-seq) preferred
- Familiarity with contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools as well as collaborative development using version control systems (e.g., Git)
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature, and flexibility across multiple research domains
- Ability to work independently and as a collaborative member of a global analytical research team in a fast-paced environment
- Fluent verbal and written English language skills
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.