At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Scientist is a key member of the Informatics and Predictive Sciences (IPS) Translational Epidemiology team and has two main goals. The first is to enhance and transform real-world and omics data brought in from partners to prepare for analysis. The second is to design and conduct, in collaboration with others in IPS, high-quality statistical analyses utilizing real world evidence (RWE) and omics data sources to support research goals, publication plans and cross-functional internal and external collaborations.
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on quantitative epidemiologist, statistician, computational biologist, data scientist or applied mathematician with experience in large-scale healthcare data processing and analysis. They will have experience working with a variety of data sources, such as clinical trial data, electronic health record data, insurance claims data, biobank data, research consortium data, and/or omics data. The candidate must also have a demonstrated ability to actively listen, integrate input from diverse sources, and collaboratively translate clinical or business questions into data and analysis requirements resulting in a clear path forward for the project and team. The candidate will also be required to maintain a deep understanding of healthcare data, from data generation, collection and integration to its analysis and interpretation, with the opportunity to actively improve and innovate in each of those areas.
Overall responsibilities include:
- Work in a fast-paced multidisciplinary dynamic environment, and as necessary create examples, prototypes, and demonstrations to help the business better understand innovative solutions
- Represent the Translational Epidemiology group and its capabilities in meetings with peers with diverse backgrounds
- Collaborate with team members to meet project checkpoints and accomplish team objectives
Key competencies, skills, and attributes:
- Ability to write code to work with structured and semi-structured data
- Advanced knowledge of diverse analytical approaches (ex. statistics, predictive modeling, visual analytics) and the desire to continually learn and grow your analytical skillset
- Ability to multi-task and handle numerous matrixed projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to engage in effective joint problem-solving to address key challenges
Education and Experience Guidelines:
- A degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Informatics, Mathematics or similar field, along with coding experience
- Preferred prior experience in the pharmaceutical / biotechnology / healthcare / health IT industry, at least 2+ years of hands-on experience executing observational healthcare or translational research studies, as well as 3+ years of hands-on experience working with large real-world databases (EMR, biobanks, consortium data, etc)
Technical Experience Guidelines:
- Advanced hands-on knowledge of R (preferred) or python
- Experience analyzing data from traditional healthcare databases (electronic medical records, claims, etc) and integrated omics data is preferred
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.