BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
This role will act as the EHS&S Novato Site Team technical lead for risk assessments (e.g. JHA’s, HAZOPs), investigations (e.g. RCA’s, FMEA, etc.). Position will ensure that EHS&S risks across the site are routinely identified, evaluated and mitigated. Position will also provide EHS&S scientific and technical support across GxP & lab facilities, as well as utilities & warehouse operations.
BioMarin’s Global Compliance and Ethics team is committed to ensuring lawful and ethical conduct by our colleagues across BioMarin's various departments. It seeks to ensure BioMarin is doing business the right way, and thereby reduce the risk of inappropriate activities that might prevent or delay BioMarin from meeting its goal of providing innovative treatments to patients around the world who are suffering from rare genetic conditions.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES -
- Perform routine JHAs for various stakeholders across the site. Prepare reports that drive corrective/preventative actions and mitigate risk.
- Conduct investigations (e.g. RCA’s) for site incidents and high-risk near misses. Prepare reports and ensure corrective actions are assigned.
- Maintain site-level risk register tool.
- Influence site leadership, stakeholders & influencers to drive EHS&S culture improvements. Serve as EHS&S representative at stakeholder leadership committees as needed.
- Work with supervisor, internal EHS&S staff & stakeholders to identify & manage EHS&S-sponsored projects.
- Lead projects assigned at the discretion of the supervisor in areas as diverse as: biosafety reviews, indoor air monitoring, URS reviews, training/program development, compliance determinations, etc.
- Support Safety, Health & Environment Leadership Team (SHELT) and serve as risk management SME.
- Provide comprehensive, in-depth knowledge of safety responsibilities, regulations, procedures, and business practices within internal teams or on multi-functional/departmental
- Support development of annual EHS&S goals/targets.
- Lead/support ISO 14001 and 45001 certification maintenance efforts for assigned stakeholders.
- Lead/support Global EHSS governance committee efforts to develop standardized
- Review, update and/or develop EHS&S policies, procedures and/or training modules as necessary.
- Review and provide EHS&S input on typical project documents including process diagrams, P&ID’s, equipment specifications, design drawings, etc.
- Support Novato site EHS&S Environmental program lead to prepare for agency inspections and close action items/observations.
- Support construction safety/contractor safety program efforts.
- Manage routine day-to-day business operations (contracts, budgets, accruals, invoice review/approval)
- Provide active membership and participation to the Emergency Response Team (ERT).
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- 7-10 years working in EHS&S, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry. NOTE - BioPharma manufacturing/QC SME’s with demonstrated experience performing JHAs, RCAs, PHAs, FMEAs, etc., will also be considered for this role.
- Prior experience with the following types of software systems: Incident management, QMS & computerized maintenance management.
- Comprehensive understanding of office software including: MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Outlook, etc.
- Thorough understanding of GxP regulations for drug development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated Lead/Six Sigma/Operational Excellence experience
- Desired personal competencies related to performance in this role:
- Motivating Others: Can motivate many kinds of staff, especially non-direct reports and team/project members; empowers others; is someone people like working with; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility
- Planning: Sets objectives/goals; Breaks down work into the process steps; Develops schedules and task/staff assignments; accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects.
- Dealing with Ambiguity: Can shift gears comfortably; can effectively cope with change; can decide and act without having the total picture; can comfortably handle new projects with little instruction or guidance.
- Organizing: Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; can marshal resources (people/funding/materials/support) to get things done; arranges information & files in a useful manner.
- Peer Relationships: Easily gains the trust and support of peers; is seen as a team player & is cooperative; can get unpopular objectives completed and be seen as fair.
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
- Emergency Response Training
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a science or engineering-related field (Minimum requirement).
- Professional certification such as CIH, CSP, CHMM, etc. (Preferable)
- Advanced degree (e.g. Master’s) in a science or engineering field. (Desirable)
- Targeted training programs or professional certificates in an EHS-related discipline. (Desirable)
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.