The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing extraordinary genetics and genomics research, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials. Within the GRC, the Department of Bioinformatics is responsible for data analysis and provides analytical insight for both internal and external data. This involves the identification and characterization of underlying genetic, epigenetic, or genomic factors that are associated with disease diagnosis, prognosis, and response (efficacy and safety) to drug treatment, identification of new targets, and interpretation of the impact of genetic and genomic evidence from population-based studies. To attend to these challenges, we have an exciting opportunity for a Bioinformatics Engineer, embedded within the GRC’s Immunology and Neuroscience bioinformatics groups in a hybrid arrangement at AbbVie’s Cambridge, MA location. The candidate will work closely with computational biologists and research project teams to develop analytical pipelines, databases, and scientific applications for the GRC.
This position will work on bioinformatic/data engineering projects to support bioinformatic data analysis in immunology and neuroscience therapeutic areas.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Develop and maintain software modules, developed via best practices, including unit testing, CI/CD, automated build processes and code reviews.
- Design, develop and maintain Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), microservices, and asynchronous queuing systems.
- Work with bioinformatic scientists as the stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Software Engineering, Computer Science, data scientist/engineering, bioinformatics, computer and electrical engineering, or related field. With at least 5-7+ (BS) or 2-5+(MS) years of relevant experience.
- Fluency in 2 or more or relevant programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, R).
- Fluency in SQL and database technologies, and one or more programming languages including Node.js, Angular, Java/Python.
- Experience with git or similar version control systems.
- AWS Data Platform experience: S3, Kinesis, Dynamo, RDS
- Experience across multiple tiers of an application, including a database, network, operating system, and containers.
- Familiarity with data workflow development and ETL process.
- Familiarity with standard tools and data formats related to genomics resequencing projects processing and analysis.
- Strong communication skills in a collaborative environment.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.