Intern Epidemiology and Real World Evidence, Oncology
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting millions of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.Intern - Epidemiology and Real World Evidence, Oncology
As a Gilead Intern
, you will contribute to high-impact meaningful projects that will not only further advance our company's mission but will allow you to gain real world experience at one of the most innovative organizations in the world. You will also have opportunities to participate in special events including professional development and leadership presentations, social/network building activities and local community volunteer programs.Job Overview:
The internship will provide a first-hand opportunity to observe and learn about epidemiological contributions with real world evidence (RWE) within a clinical pharmaceutical industry setting in the oncology field. At the conclusion of the internship, the intern will give a presentation summarizing the work completed during the program. The internship will be based at the Foster City, CA, campus of Gilead Sciences. The candidate should be enrolled in a Master's or Doctoral Program specializing in Epidemiology, Public Health, or a related field.Job Responsibilities:
Under general supervision, the intern will be working on a pharmacoepidemiology project based on the experience and interest of the intern and needs of the RWE oncology team. Responsibilities may include the following activities, among others:
- Conducting or assisting with literature reviews
- Designing epidemiological studies
- Analysing an in-house database of insurance claims, electronic medical records, registries, and other types of real world evidence to support pharmacovigilance, internal decision-making, and regulatory requests. Any programming tasks will involve the use of SAS, SQL, R, and/or other statistical software on the UNIX platform.
- Assessing the value of various real world data assets
- Attending and participating in group discussions within RWE and across other departments.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.8
- Authorized to work in the United States without Sponsorship now or in the future
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in a Masters/PhD program in Epidemiology, Public Health, or a related field at an accredited US based university or college
- Must be a Graduate or Doctoral Student
- Must be enrolled in the Fall Semester at an accredited university/college after the completion of the internship
- Must be able to complete a 10-12 consecutive week internship between June and September
- Must be able to work at our Foster City site for the duration of the internship
- Must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination* prior to start of internship
Gilead Core Values:
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Ability to identify issues and seek solutions
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and diversity in the workplace
- Efficient, organized, and able to handle short timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Good verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to convey a positive and professional image to internal and external clients
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
The purpose of the vaccination requirement is to minimize the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace and support the health and safety of our communities. *A person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request an accommodation.
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today at www.gilead.com/careers
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.