ImmunityBio, Inc. is a late-stage immunotherapy company developing next-generation therapies that drive immunogenic mechanisms for defeating cancer and infectious disease. The company’s immunotherapy platform is designed to activate both the innate (natural killer cell and macrophage) and adaptive (T cell) immune systems to create long-term “immunological memory.”
The Senior Microfluidics Engineer serves as a key member of the device engineering team to develop a microfluidic-based platform and workflow for mammalian cell processing. This position will act as lead on the microfluidics platform; design and fabricate microfluidic devices; and perform experiments to evaluate and iterate the device design systematically.
The Senior Microfluidics Engineer will have significant freedom on the platform design, with accountability to / support from the engineering team developing other aspects of: instruments, consumables, and reagents for the system. The role will also work closely with scientists in the biologics R&D team to evaluate and optimize the device platform for the intended applications in manufacturing cellular therapeutics.
- Design and manufacture plastic/polymer microfluidic devices for testing and use design-for-manufacturing best practices to transition to production, assembly, and packaging.
- Design and conduct experiments to evaluate device performance and iterate device design through literature studies, fundamental multiphysics modeling, and empirical testing.
- Assist in defining system specifications and requirements and work with the rest of the engineering team to implement the system
- Perform other routine job duties as needed.
- Masters of Science degree with 2-5 years of experience; or Ph.D. in related engineering or applied scientific fields such as bioengineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering.
- Experience in biomedical microfluidic system prototyping and development
- Experience in 3D CAD modeling, multiphysics simulation tools, knowledge of mechanics, fluid dynamics, and basic biology
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- MEMS/BioMEMS cleanroom microfabrication experience
- PDMS-based microfluidic device prototyping experience
- Basic cell culture and cell handling experience preferred
- Due to the independent nature of the position, it is a vital to have the ability to clearly document and communicate successes and struggles through regular verbal discussions, writing, and PowerPoint presentations
- Problem-solving and critical thinking skills are a necessity
*All hires are based upon completion and passage of a background check
ImmunityBio is a mandatory vaccination employer for COVID-19 and its variants. The Company requires that its employees be fully vaccinated as of their start date. If you require a medical or religious accommodation we will engage in the interactive process with you. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to start. If we make you an offer and you are not yet vaccinated, we will accommodate a delay in start date. ImmunityBio may also mandate that its employees receive vaccine boosters, and all accommodation laws will be followed.