Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
The Automation Service Engineer will be responsible to provide world-class Laboratory Equipment Lifecycle Management service and support, while contributing to efficient processes, procedures, and best practices. You will have the opportunity to join a fast-growing automation service group, to make an immediate impact on the team’s dynamic and culture.
You will play a key role in shaping and organizing the culture of efficiency within Laboratory Operations. You will take a point position to ensure Laboratory Equipment Lifecycle Management processes (onboarding equipment, IQ, OQ, PQ, calibration, maintenance, pFMEA, decommission) are to adhere to regulatory requirements, on large, fully automated laboratory systems and testing platforms, utilized in our cancer diagnostic test(s). We are rapidly growing and defining the laboratory systems and processes, so the ideal candidate will be someone who has had experience, not only maintaining service processes, but also scaling them to meet our future needs.
The challenges of a startup are exciting and you realize the world-changing value of circulating tumor DNA screening. Freenome is changing the world through a product that has the potential to better the standard of care for all current, future and potential cancer patients. Our ability to build and maintain scalable and efficient workflows in a clinical environment to deliver an always better product will be the main driver for adoption and you will be a key stakeholder in the success. We need to do it quickly, we need to do it fast, and most of all we need to do it well. You believe you are up to the task and want to prove it.
You work well with others. The Automation Service team is a service provider to the laboratory teams, and the balance between bringing new ideas and processes to the table, while managing existing ones and gathering ideas/requirements from the end users will be a critical part for the success of the Automation team.
- Establish and execute Equipment Lifecycle Management processes from instrument intake, instrument IQ/OQ/PQ, to maintenance and calibration
- Align with strategic plans for tactical execution of scaling and operations equipment procurement and setup
- Collaborate with QA and regulatory to define requirements, policies, and procedures for equipment qualification, calibration, and maintenance activities
- Perform and support equipment installations, qualifications, scheduled and unscheduled maintenance activities, to ensure the highest level of instrument reliability and up-time
- Contribute to the management of a maintenance and calibration system
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and disseminate information by developing SOPs, checklists, and service bulletins
- Help end-users troubleshoot equipment related issues
- Develop and implement preventative maintenance checks and verifications for critical equipment
- Effectively communicate with third party service providers
- Provide service and support during normal business hours, as well as after hours and on weekends as needed
Your background, perspective and experience:
- B.S. degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, with a minimum of 1-3 years of related industry experience
- Minimum of 0-4 years service engineering or instrumentation and equipment support
- Proficient in providing service support for Hamilton and Bravo Robotic liquid handlers
- Limited experience executing PM, IQ, OQ, repair, and other service related documentation
- Familiarity with developing and executing training programs and providing knowledge-transfer to other engineers and lab personnel
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and customers from diverse scientific, engineering, operational, and regulatory disciplines
- Excellent communication skills to work with high dynamic cross functional teams
- A problem solver with skills and knowledge to work hands on and lead by example
- Hands-on technical troubleshooting skills in high throughput, sample processing laboratories to support operations and scale activities
- Ability to take part in an on-call rotation with after hours and weekend response as needed
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.