AbbVie Ventures represents the strategic investment arm of the company and a core component of AbbVie's integrated approach to external innovation. We invest in-early-stage transformational scientific opportunities that augment our core R&D areas within oncology, immunology, neuroscience, ophthalmology, and aesthetics. We invest proactively with an intent to partner: Our investments and interactions with fellow investors, scientists, physicians, and entrepreneurs provide us insights into novel biology and technologies that result in targeted enhancement of our scientific knowledge as well as early assessments of potential future business development opportunities. Our broad and deep expertise in drug discovery, development, manufacturing, and commercialization is a valuable resource to even the earliest stage companies. Through this proactive engagement with the scientific community, we are building our reputation as a committed leader in the biotechnology ecosystem, while supplementing our R&D pipeline in a capital-efficient manner.
- Proactive opportunity sourcing:
- Build awareness regarding AbbVie and the Venture group amongst interconnected networks of early-stage life science focused venture investors and company creators, entrepreneurs, scientific founders, and accelerators/incubators on the U.S. West Coast.
- Identify and evaluate potential investment opportunities that are consistent with AbbVie strategies and drive sustainable growth for the Company including managing and generating relationships with potential sources of opportunities and potential co-investors.
- Deal evaluation and execution:
- Lead the assessment and (in conjunction with Search and Evaluation) drive the evaluation process and timeline, developing timely recommendations and proposals for senior management consideration, based on thorough technical review and unique insights.
- Develop effective deal structure optionality, risk mitigation and negotiation strategies and ensure alignment with AbbVie objectives and functional management.
- Drive the deal execution and investment process, including leading the diligence team and cross-functional internal review and presenting the investment recommendation to the Investment Committee, negotiating deal documents and managing the closing process.
- Portfolio management:
- Actively review and monitor AbbVie Ventures’ portfolio companies by keeping abreast of developments within the companies, building and maintaining good working relationships with executive management and the Board of Directors, and participating in Board meetings.
- Serve as the internal point of contact for portfolio companies within AbbVie to ensure alignment and engagement with key stakeholders from the Corporate Strategy and R&D organizations.
- Advanced degree in the life sciences (Ph.D., M.D., M.D. /Ph.D.), with at least 3 years post-doctoral research experience (academic or pharma/biotech) required. Oncology experience is preferred, but not required.
- 10 years of experience, including 5 years in pharma/biotech/life science VC, with several years’ direct experience in an externally focused group investing in and/or licensing innovation in the life sciences.
- 2 years exposure working with top level corporate executives.
- Strong understanding of the drug discovery and development, regulatory, and commercialization process for evaluation of pharmaceutical opportunities; position incumbent should have rigorous scientific knowledge that will permit them to objectively evaluate potential business opportunities.
- Project management/leadership skills to lead/manage multifunctional teams to evaluate target opportunities and produce high quality analyses. Ability to drive projects to deliver timely results and follow through on commitments.
- Strong communication skills to effectively communicate business strategies and capabilities internally and externally, present individual and team recommendations clearly and concisely, and promote cross-functional communication.
- Proactive and engaging social and networking skills to reach out to a broad range of industry decision makers to keep abreast of emerging opportunities. Strong and existing networks within the early-stage life science community and key ecosystem stakeholders in the Bay Area are desired, with an expectation to expand into key emerging hubs on the U.S. West Coast.
- Demonstrated skills in a licensing or venture investment setting with a track record of creatively solving problems with partners and closing deals that create a win-win relationship for all parties.
- Needs to be able to manage high level, cross-functional teams on tight timelines and focused execution.
- Individual must be able to act independently without daily onsite managerial supervision.
- This role is based in South San Francisco, with expected on-site presence of 2-3 days per week. The role will require domestic and international travel of ~25%.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.