A senior scientist position is available within the Cell Culture Process Development group in S&T Biologics at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA. The group is responsible for developing and supporting cell culture manufacturing processes for early and late phase clinical programs. We strive for speedy delivery of quality processes that are high yield, amenable to efficient manufacturing operations, robust and provide desirable product quality attributes. The group interacts closely with other development groups, along with Manufacturing and Discovery. The selected candidate will be involved in process development, process characterization, tech transfer and scale-up. The candidate will have a major role in aspects of cell culture media development and process optimization. We are seeking for an enthusiastic, creative scientist that can work independently and as part of a dynamic team environment.
- Drive development of methods to characterize cellular metabolic fluxes, application of statistical design and data analysis and generation of models.
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally with colleagues in other functional areas (Analytical Development, Discovery, Manufacturing and Quality). Develop and characterize highly-productive CHO cell culture processes suitable for cGMP biotherapeutic manufacturing within project timelines, performing technical transfer and manufacturing support activities.
- Conceive, investigate and execute scientific research and development to significantly improve platform processes and workflows, develop new methods, build technical expertise and intellectual property, and deepen scientific understanding.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab, with clear and accurate documentation.
- Proactively seek out new information and opportunities to advance our technologies and pipeline. Critically evaluate relevant scientific, regulatory and business advances and integrate this knowledge.
- Effectively communicate scientific data and concepts to internal audiences through reports and presentations. Author and review technical reports, protocols, and other key documents.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, documentation and GMP compliance.
- PhD in biochemical/chemical engineering or life sciences related disciplines with 2+ years of industrial experience; or M.S. in biochemical/chemical engineering or life sciences related disciplines with 8+ years of industrial experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Strong scientific curiosity with a passion for problem-solving and optimization. Self-motivated with excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task. Strong organizational, planning and trouble-shooting skills.
- Understanding of cell culture processes (e.g., cell and molecular biology, process development, process scale up and scale down, recombinant protein production, protein characterization).
- Proven experience working aseptically in cell culture processes.
- Experience in computational analysis and application of hybrid models.
- Experience with statistical data analysis tools such as design of experiment and multivariate data analysis.
- Strong interest on cellular metabolism and media development.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.