GlobalSTL, an initiative of BioSTL, is seeking driven, resourceful candidates in a Ag-Food Innovation Associate role to join our mission of transforming the model of health care delivery and improving the health and economic vitality of our region. This position will report to the GlobalSTL Ag-Food Business Development Director and will be a full-time, salaried position with BioSTL.
Building upon GlobalSTL’s international innovation sourcing platform, developed across 15 countries and growing, this exciting role will be sourcing Ag-Food solutions for both a consortium of large Ag-Food organizations based in St. Louis and growers through the EAGIC program.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
As a member of the GlobalSTL team, the Ag-Food Innovation Associate will actively participate in the following responsibilities:
- Perform diligencing research and in-depth sector analysis assisting GlobalSTL leadership in the evaluation of cutting-edge Ag-Food startup or scaleup solutions. Diligence includes the following value parameters: value proposition, product-market fit, market traction, business model, regulatory compliance, risk, capital raised, management teams for strategic clients, among others
- Expand the GlobalSTL global innovation sourcing network, building new relationships, adding new countries and regions by leveraging existing platform contacts, strategic partners, innovative startups, VCs, incubators, professional networks, web and social media, and other sources
- Leverage the GlobalSTL CRM system to maintain a database of all contacts and communication between GlobalSTL and entities relevant to GlobalSTL (companies, incubators, VCs, NGOs, STL corporations, STL innovation partners, etc.)
- Continue to improve GlobalSTL programs and sourcing approaches through learning from U.S. and international success models and by applying a methodology of continuous measurement and improvement
- Support events including the hosting of key international delegates who may visit St. Louis for recruitment and business development goals, as needed
- Travel for innovation sourcing and business development meetings domestically and internationally, as applicable
Through this rewarding work and in a highly collaborative environment, GlobalSTL is transforming US Ag-Food industry and positioning St. Louis as the center for Ag-Food innovation. In the Ag-Food Innovation Associate role, you can expect to:
- Increase the number of innovative Ag-Food companies executing pilots and or scaled implementations with GlobalSTL’s consortium of Ag-Food partners
- Execute the sourcing of innovation for GlobalSTL stakeholders (St. Louis Ag-Food corporations and Midwest growers)
- Expand the global innovation sourcing platform adding countries and deepening the sourcing network within existing countries
- Improve domestic and international brand of GlobalSTL as the go-to organization for Ag-Food innovators wanting to access Midwest customers
- Wherever possible, attract and nurture high growth companies into establishing and or growing a physical presence in St. Louis creating jobs and capital invested in the St. Louis region
- Undergraduate or master’s degree, preferably in business management, Agronomy/plant science or equivalent work experience
- 1-3 years business experience in any of the following: analyst/sourcing, project management, operations, R&D, business development, or business
- Previous visibility into managing innovation projects, working with startups/suppliers/vendors/external partners, developing contracts, and or negotiating agreements, is preferred
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a strong interest in entrepreneurs and small business development and have the ability to develop relationships, build networks and develop win-win solutions. Past exposure to technical evaluations, due diligence on a variety of products and services, and intellectual property review among startups or commercial settings are highly desirable experiences for this position. Other preferred skills include a demonstrated track record of conducting deep diligence of Ag-Food innovation and establishing value proposition for US Ag-Food players and growers, takes initiative to learn new skills and curiosity to continuously improve current processes, an overall diversity in previous assignments that demonstrate flexibility among the ability to manage a process, planning and organization skills, namely the ability to establish work plans, multi-task and prioritize simultaneous projects, negotiation skills, working knowledge of standard contract terms, excellent listening, written and oral communication skills – to articulate complex business situations clearly and articulately with senior executives of diverse backgrounds (corporations, investors, entrepreneurs, researchers and governmental agencies) in a global setting, and a demonstrated passion for international business, people and culture.
Pay is commensurate with experience and is benchmarked against market rates. Benefit package for full-time employees includes excellent health coverage, generous retirement savings match, tuition assistance, and other benefits to support employees personally and professionally.
Please click APPLY to upload a detailed letter of interest.
All employees must receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Exemptions may be granted for medical contraindications and for sincerely held religious beliefs. Exemption requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. BioSTL is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable ecosystem. We are committed to seeking individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences who will bring diverse perspectives to this work. This is an equal employment opportunity.
Since 2001, St. Louis nonprofit BioSTL has laid the foundation for the region’s innovation economy with a comprehensive set of transformational programs that advance St. Louis’ leadership in solving important world challenges in agriculture, medicine, health care, and other technology areas. BioSTL has introduced nationally acclaimed initiatives in startup creation and investment (BioGenerator), strategic business attraction (GlobalSTL), physical environment (including Cortex and BioGenerator Labs), entrepreneur support, seed and venture capital, a diverse and inclusive workforce, and public policy. Find us online at biostl.org and follow us on twitter @BioSTL.