GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com
As a Clinical Lab Systems Engineer at GRAIL, you’ll enjoy working directly with the clinical operations, research scientists, and software development team ensuring the smooth running of our very complex operational system. This includes both supporting day to day debugging and problem solving and inevitable issues arise, and working to continuously improve our systems, but helping gather requirements and prioritize improvements. GRAILs testing volumes are scaling exponentially and require a dynamic and detail oriented team to help deliver our revolutionary test to as many people as possible.You Will:
Your Background Will Include:
- Understand lab processing workflows for GRAIL products and studies across multiple distributed systems
- Support our custom in-house created LIMS; working with software engineers and operations to ensure smooth processing of samples and studies.
- Partner closely with wet lab ops to provide data and information required to troubleshoot equipment failures and enable experimentation.
- Act as the first line of defense when issues arise; either debugging and fixing such or advancing the issues to the right subject matter expert.
- Plan, test, and execute changes on a production system at a level of detail suited to, and within a quality structure for, a regulated clinical environment
- BS in Biology, Computer Science, Engineering, or similar
- Knowledge of basic scripting in a language like Python, Matlab, R, or similar.
- Basic knowledge of IT infrastructure, networking, VMs.
- Proven ability to quickly diagnose, debug, and resolve problems in a fast paced production environment.
- Comfortable querying and reading instrument and application logs.
- Comfortable with basic SQL
- Comfortable with Git and version control systems
- Sound analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Willingness to teach others and learn new techniques.
- Experience with basic web development.
- Experience in a clinical production lab.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us
to request accommodation.
Following extensive monitoring, consideration of business implications, and advice from internal and external experts, GRAIL US has made the decision to require that all U.S. employees be “Fully Vaccinated” with the COVID-19 vaccine and “Up to Date” with any recommended booster. “Fully Vaccinated” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine (e.g. Pfizer or Moderna) or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine (e.g. Johnson & Johnson) has been administered; "Up to Date" means having timely received any COVID-19 vaccine booster(s) in accordance with CDC guidelines. Absent a qualifying exemption, all GRAIL US employees are to comply with this requirement, including providing documentation of such vaccination status, as a condition of employment. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation for consideration by GRAIL.