Who we are: An early stage stealth biotechnology startup in the gene therapy and immuno-oncology space spinning out of a lab at UCSF and looking to immediately hire a Cytokine Engineer (any level post-PhD) to further develop, test and expand our platform for new and innovative therapies with novel disease targets.
Position description: We are seeking an energetic and team-oriented Cytokine Engineer who has the drive and initiative to be a foundational member of our research group. We are inviting applications from highly motivated scientists with specific expertise in cytokine engineering to enhance selective anti-tumor activity. Our goal is to bring first-in-class therapeutic approaches from the research bench to the clinic. Ideal candidates will have a strong background in cytokine biology and immunology. If you are a hard-working team player with effective communication skills you will thrive in our collaborative, fast-paced startup environment.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Engineer improvements to the safety profiles and selective targeting of our cytokine platform.
- Design and execute assays to evaluate activity of novel cytokine designs on immune function.
- Seek out information from the literature and incorporate recent technological advances to pioneer new experimental approaches in the lab.
- Clearly communicate results to the broader team and maintain a detailed electronic lab notebook.
- Independently interpret data, draw appropriate conclusions, and troubleshoot and solve complex technical and/or scientific problems.
- Knowledge of cytokine and chemokine biology.
- Experience with innate immune cell types and/or tumor microenvironment biology.
- Familiar with protein engineering and protein structure.
- Experience with functional assays to assess T cell activity (e.g. proliferation, killing, cytokine release).
- Experience with multiparameter flow cytometry.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- PhD in relevant field.
- At least 3 years of experience engineering cytokines (specifically cytokines, not other proteins).
- Must be a self-starter and team player who can thrive in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Detail oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong critical thinking, time management, and organizational skills.
We accelerate the technical quality and rigor of our science by prioritizing investment in the personal, interpersonal, educational and career development of our team. We believe great scientists and science emerge from non-competitive, motivational and inspiring environments.