What would it take to do the best work of your career?
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to infer biological relationships. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
While we offer cutting-edge tools and an amazing lab, the secret sauce is our people. Our organization structure and culture isn't driven by politics or ego, it is designed first and foremost to help you do your best work. We live and work by values that we see as the strategic differentiators that give us a competitive advantage, supporting better and faster work without burnout and encouraging us to make leaps where others take steps. This is a place where people in every role and every level make the bold bets that create large leaps forward on a regular basis.
Recursion Pharmaceuticals is at the forefront of re-imagining drug discovery through the integration of automated cell biology, generation of high-dimensional and diverse data sets, and sophisticated analytics. We are seeking a Scientist to work on human iPSC derived neural cell types, molecular and functional characterizations thereof, and developing relevant disease models.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Enable Recursion to build Maps of Biology by developing screening protocols which incorporate CRISPR editing and gene delivery methods at scale with hiPSC neural cell types.
- Design in vitro cell culture tools that allow for the loss of function, inducible, and stable gain of function in the hiPSC-neural cell background and those cells that interact with neuronal cells.
- Achieve work with internal and external partners to rapidly deliver high-quality in vitro data to enable decision making on a rapidly growing portfolio of pre-clinical programs in oncology and neuroscience
- Deliver by performing in vitro biology assays that generate the data that helps us understand and optimize our programs and molecules
- Train team members to perform newly developed methods for scale to enable 100’s to 1000’s of 1536 well microplates screened per week.
- Collaborate with data scientists, computational biologists, chemists, and clinical strategists across the organization to develop Recursion's data-to-therapeutic pipeline to discover new impactful medicines and ultimately serve patients
The Team You’ll Join
Reporting to the Director, Biology, you'll join our newly formed team focused on the utilization of human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs) to model neurodegenerative diseases. You will train to develop and supervise CRISPR genome editing tasks and use state-of-the-art differentiation technology to generate advanced disease model’s at large scale. Your work will be highly collaborative, interactive, and multithreaded. You will develop in vitro assays for the world's leading company in AI-guided drug discovery. You will develop the technology and build the assays used to discover potential therapeutics and determine exactly how and where they interact with human biology. To do this you will interact closely with our Biology Team to develop relevant assays, with our High-throughput Tissue Culture Core Facility Team (HTS TC) within Recursion’s Core Operations Department to enable scale, and with our Computational Biology, Computer Vision, and Data Science groups to enable AI-driven drug discovery and therapeutics development.
As a scientist and team member in the Neuroscience group you will focus on the differentiation and characterization of hPSC models involving various cell types such as neuronal subtypes and glial cells such as astrocytes and microglia. You will enable our HTS team to expedite screening at industry-leading scale to generate petabytes of high-dimensional data from human cells. You will work cross-functionally to develop robust, scalable systems and grow our Map of Biology.
You will develop or increase management and leadership skills. You will be a part of tactical and strategic decision making and train, mentor and supervise associates.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD in Neuroscience, Biotechnology or related field, or MS with 3+ years of relevant pharma or biotech industry experience
- Demonstrated ability to understand, communicate, and work collaboratively to deliver on cross-functional objectives
- Expertise with primary or human iPSC derived neural cell types: e.g. neurons, microglia, astrocytes, or at a minimum, experienced with advanced in vitro culture techniques using other cell types.
- Experience with design, execution, and analysis of diverse in vitro neuroscience methods (high-content imaging, electrophysiology, molecular biology)
- A passion for working in a fast-paced environment where you’ll leverage creativity and independent thinking when deriving, expanding, banking and genetically perturbing challenging human cell types
- Demonstrated capacity to independently manage and coordinate scientific projects with an owner’s mindset. Ability to lead projects, mentor, and train others
- Efficient and effective communication of research findings and interpretation in written and verbal form
- Strong interpersonal skills, desire to work in a team that trusts and supports each other
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.