Manager: Associate Director, Molecular Biology
Department: Analytical Development
Location: Brisbane, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today’s medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate with hands-on experience in molecular biology and Next-Generation Sequencing to support therapeutic programs. The successful candidate will be involved in the development, optimization, and qualification of molecular assays for rAAV gene therapy and cell therapy products. The position requires troubleshooting skills along with adaptability to work under supervision as well as independently. The ideal candidate will have fundamental understanding of the development of analytical methods used to characterize manufacturing of AAV vectors.
- Develop and perform various NGS-based assays, including library prep methods for WGS, Amplicon-Seq, and RNA-Seq
- Operate Next Generation Sequencing instruments such as Illumina or PacBio platforms
- Plan, execute, and document laboratory procedures and experiments with great attention to detail
- Assist in the analysis and interpretation of NGS data
- Communicate data and provide regular progress updates in group meetings
- Assist in drafting SOPs and other technical documents as needed
- Other activities as may be assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum of BS in Molecular Biology or a related discipline with 5+ years of industry experience. MS preferred. Level will be determined based on degree and years of relevant experience
- Proficient in molecular biology wet-lab techniques, particularly nucleic acid extraction, purification, and quantitation
- Hands-on experience in NGS library preparation methods
- Working knowledge of molecular biology assay development and/or NGS-based assays
- Ability to execute experiments independently, troubleshoot molecular techniques, and evaluate data of moderate complexity
- Familiarity with long-read sequencing approaches (PacBio, Nanopore)
- Familiarity with Unix command line, sequence alignment tools, and basic bioinformatics tools such as FastQC is a plus
- Familiarity with mammalian cell culture, transfection, and viral infection is a plus
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong analytical experiment design, problem-solving, and data analysis skills
- Demonstrated ability to overcome technical challenges in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to document procedures and results and keep accurate detailed records
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, cross-functional environment
- Experience with gene editing technologies is preferred
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
Sangamo is committed to fostering belonging for all employees and embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion in recruiting and hiring. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws
Commitment to Safety
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine & booster, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
Note to External Recruiters: We do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves.