About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring new team members who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and who lead with the desire to work on novel ideas. We are looking for dedicated Senior Research Associate (SRA)/Research Associate (RA) to join our PSC Process Development (PD) team. You will report to Senior Scientist, PSC Gene Editing, and will have an important role in developing and optimizing Pluripotent Stem Cell (PSC) gene editing process and executing the final process at the manufacturing facility. This is a high impact role where you will contribute to the manufacturing of clinical grade engineered PSC cell lines, which will serve as a foundation to Sana PSC -based Cell Therapy programs. You will join an innovative multi-disciplinary team developing cell therapy manufacturing technologies to bring allogeneic PSC-derived cell therapies into clinical trials. Cool stuff.
What you'll do
- Contribute to the development, optimization, characterization, and execution of the clinical PSC gene editing process
- Work collaboratively to generate and screen gene edited PSC lines in a PD
- Collaborate with Technology Science Cell Line Engineering Group to support technology transfer of processes and assays into the Tech Ops organization
- Maintain a functioning PSC PD lab
- Maintain a detailed electronic lab notebook and communicate data and plans at cross-functional team meetings.
- Support tech transfer of PSC gene editing processes to internal and external manufacturing organizations and training new operators
- Provide onsite support at the internal GMP facility and CDMO
What we're looking for
- Bachelors +4 yrs or master's plus 2+ yrs [TM1] or equivalent combination of education and laboratory work experience
- Basic knowledge of Developmental Biology, specifically understanding of the principles of pluripotent stem cell biology
- Experience with pluripotent stem cell culture, and aseptic technique
- Experience with PSC-based assays and laboratory techniques and able to master new techniques
- Produce error free work and demonstrate scientific rigor
- Seek input in a complex, fast-paced, multi-site, team-oriented organization
- Work with colleagues of diverse background
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience with antibiotic-free cell culture
- Knowledge or experience with gene editing, particularly knocking genes in and out in PSCs
- Knowledge or experience with iPSC reprograming, PSC derivation, and PSC cloning
- Direct industrial experience with gene, or cell therapy process development
- cGMP or Clean Room manufacturing experience
- Experience with relevant analytical methods including flow cytometry and gene and cell-based assays
What you should know
- This is a lab-based position – you will spend ~ 80% of your time supporting process, and/or manufacturing PSC products
- Weekend and holiday rotation work will be required
- You will split time between Sana South San Francisco site and Sana manufacturing facility on the East Coast – expected to travel up to 50% of the time
- Work within a regulated cleanroom environment
- You will handle human tissue-derived cells
- Occasional bending and lifting smaller equipment and media (up to approximately 20kg)
- Lab work - standing and seating
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.