About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring scientists who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and who lead with the desire to work on novel therapies. As a Computational Biologist, Bioinformatics and Phylogenetics, you will work with our Genome Editing Technologies team to discover and characterize DNA-modifying enzyme systems and develop new genome engineering capabilities. This will include using bioinformatics and phylogenetic analyses to identify candidate genome editing proteins for testing and development, performing data analysis, and redesigning hits for improved performance. You will collaborate with internal and external partners in genome editing research, including academic leaders who are at the forefront of CRISPR/Cas discovery. The position will offer the opportunity to work and publish at the cutting edge of gene editing research and will directly impact Sana's therapeutic scope and capabilities. Cool stuff.
What you'll do
- Analyze sequence databases for motifs that might enable novel editing capabilities
- Identify efficient strategies for sampling phylogenetic families for candidate development
- Develop workflows for efficient gene design, synthesis and variation
- Develop workflows for analyzing NGS readouts of editing function
- Partner with our teams to understand therapeutic editing needs
- Motivate and lead efforts to develop novel editing capabilities
- Synthesize, present and publish results
What we're looking for
- Advanced degree in evolutionary computational biology, computational evolutionary genomics, or related discipline with 5+ years of academic or industry experience, or MS with 7+ years of academic or industry experience
- Proficiency in metagenomic / phylogenetic analysis
- Proficiency in Python and R
- Experience with tools for multiple sequence alignments, sequence clustering and homology
- Familiarity with NGS platforms and hands-on experience with all steps of analysis
- Routine use of version control (e.g. git, svn)
- Experience with high performance computing (local or cloud)
- Track-record of adapting to increasing scope and complexity of work brought on by growth/change and managing through change
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience developing novel Cas systems for genome editing use
- Experience with development and application of tools for the characterization of novel gene editing systems, including analysis of NGS data sets from all relevant study types (e.g. on-target analysis, PAM identification, guide characterization, GUIDE-seq, anchored multiplex PCR)
What you should know
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.