The Cell and Protein Sciences Group at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA, is seeking a motivated scientist to join its Gene, Cell, and Protein Engineering (GCPE) team. The GPCE team designs and generates a diverse array of purified protein reagents and engineered cell lines to enable discovery campaigns. Because our team plays a central role within the vast and interconnected ecosystem at AbbVie, team members have the unique opportunity to collaborate with many therapeutic areas (immunology, oncology, neurology, virology). The ideal candidate will have strong molecular biology skills with experience in plasmid design and expertise in cell line engineering. The candidate will work in a fast-paced environment to investigate, develop, and optimize methods and technologies through hands-on laboratory work and literature review.
- Use cell and molecular biology tools for target expression and engineering of proteins for in vitro and in vivo applications
- Extract information from protein and DNA/RNA sequences through database searches, sequence alignment and statistical analysis
- Collaborate with colleagues in bioinformatics and Preclinical and Safety teams to build Non-Rodent and NHP databases.
- Perform hands-on bench work cloning plasmids for protein expression in various expression hosts, primarily E. coli and mammalian HEK/CHO cells
- Complete small-scale purifications of recombinant proteins for expression screening purposes
- BS, MS, or PhD in Molecular/Cell biology/Biochemistry with typically 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS), or 0+ (PhD) years of relevant experience
- Strong background in molecular biology, including construct design and protein expression in different hosts
- Proficiency with using biological databases and online resources/tools to analyze protein, DNA, and RNA sequences
- Experience with protein purification is a plus
- Experience with in vitro cell-based assay development is a plus
- Self-motivated, hard-working, detail-oriented, resourceful, persevering, and able to work in a fast-paced team environment with proven problem-solving skills
- High-quality written and oral communication skills and the ability to excel in a collaborative environment.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" of project situations rapidly, and can change course quickly where needed
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to work within a team environment.