Drug Product Development is responsible for developing manufacturing processes that enable delivery of AbbVie’s candidate molecules in a dosage form which is intended for product commercialization. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist II/Principal Research Engineer in the Process Engineering Sciences group based in North Chicago, IL. AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated, collaborative scientist with a proven track record that can optimize manufacturing processes and lead projects for small molecules.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the drug product manufacturing process optimization for small molecule development candidates within the AbbVie pipeline.
- Collaborate with drug product development CMC teams to ensure formulation and manufacturing process are amenable with the intended commercial manufacturing sites.
- Advance scientific expertise within function. Proactively demonstrate leadership by advising and sharing knowledge and expert opinions with subordinates, peers, and senior management.
- Ensure development of technologies and scientific innovation that improve the capability to formulation small molecules within the AbbVie pipeline
- Collaborate with other functions within AbbVie to align a broad range of strategies that directly support drug discovery and development programs
- Ensure compliance with AbbVie safety, quality and regulatory policies and government regulations.
Position can be hired as a Senior Scientist II or Principal Research Engineer I based on the candidate's level of education and years of experience.
- BS or equivalent education and extensive, typically 14+ years of experience; MS or equivalent education with typically 12+ years of experience; PhD with typically 6+ years of experience in area or scientific area of discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a principle investigator, generating original technical ideas and research or development strategies.
- Demonstrate creative 'out of the box' thinking to solve difficult technical problems and champion new technologies to achieve project goals.
- Recognized and sought out as an expert in his/her discipline within the company and possibly externally.
- Experienced and demonstrated success as primary author of publications, presentations, regulatory documents and/or primary inventor of patents.
- Demonstrated scientific communication and presentation skills by presenting at leading scientific conferences.
- Strong project leadership experience for dry solid oral drug product development.
- Advanced understanding drug product manufacturing platforms including direct compression, wet & dry granulation, and hot melt extrusion.
- Advanced understanding of powder material properties and their impact on drug product manufacturability and final product performance.
- Ability to apply/interpret models during drug product development to optimize development.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot process/material issues.
- Apply techniques to scale-up the development process to commercial equipment.
- Displays technical awareness in various aspects of drug development, adherence to rigorous scientific method, and commitment to the scientific process.
- Strong drive for learning new techniques and technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team setting.