Company Profile:Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX)
is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum pneumococcal conjugate vaccine being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-XP, a PCV with an expanded breadth of coverage of greater than 30 strains; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; and VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 100 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. On January 6, 2022, Vaxcyte announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had cleared the Investigational New Drug (IND) application for VAX-24, its lead vaccine candidate. The Company initiated the VAX-24 Phase 1/2 clinical proof-of-concept study in adults in the first quarter of 2022 and expects to announce Phase 2 topline immunogenicity, safety, and tolerability results by the end of the year. VAX-24 was designed to prevent IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-XP, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. Summary:
Vaxcyte is looking for an exceptional scientist to join Vaxcyte’s Vaccine Research group. This scientific position will take a lead role in understanding and characterizing critical reagents for cell-free protein synthesis. As an individual contributor, initially, this role will work both independently and in collaboration with team members to design and execute experiments to elucidate in depth understanding relevant to cell-free protein synthesis. The knowledge gained will be essential for industrializing cell-free protein synthesis for commercial manufacturing. The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualities:
· A scientific expert capable of studying complex biochemistry and designing/executing experiments that illuminate the unknown; able to plan and execute against experimental plans in accordance with project goals
· A track record of solving complex problems, scientific excellence, and execution
· A thoughtful scientist who enjoys discussing science, problem solving, and making impact to Vaxcyte’s pipeline
· An exceptional team player who works seamlessly with others, speaks up, and remains focused on achieving the best results to achieve company goals
· The ability to analyze and concatenate data to draw conclusions, make clear decisions, and communicate salient points concisely
· A strong sense of ownership and accountability; commitment to Vaxcyte’s mission
- Lead the pursuit of in-depth technical understanding of critical, complex reagents required for cell-free protein synthesis reactions.
- Contribute to the development of assays to measure reagent activity as is relevant to Vaxcyte’s pipeline proteins.
- Leverage external capabilities where appropriate.
- Collaborate with Vaxcyte’s external partners responsible for production of critical reagents.
- Determine and elucidate the process understanding required to ensure consistent, robust large scale manufacturing of vaccines using cell-free protein synthesis.
- Contribute to process characterization and validation.
- Support Vaxcyte’s pipeline development and paper publications as required.
- Be an outstanding teammate and collaborate across groups both internal and external to Vaxcyte.
- Cultivate a cohesive, innovative, nimble and productive team environment.
- PhD with 3+years of relevant experience, MS with 7+yrs of relevant experience.
- Strong experience and theoretical understanding of biochemistry including protein synthesis.
- Protein purification knowledge and experience, including familiarity with AKTA lab-scale chromatography systems and Unicorn software
- Hands-on experience purifying proteins from crude lysate to high purity.
- Ability and desire to learn upstream cell-free production system used to express proteins.
- Proficiency running gel- and column-based analytical methods a plus; such methods may include SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, IEF, SEC, HIC, IEX, RP, Mass Spec, and binding affinity or activity assays (such as MSD or ELISA).
- Experience developing assays is a plus.
- Understanding of the principals of DoE (Design of Experiments); practical experience with DoE software; proficient in the design and interpretation of statistically modelled experiments.
- Demonstrated success working in a cross-functional team environment on multiple projects; ability to work both on a team (as member and/or leader) and independently to deliver results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Sr Scientist Location:
San Carlos, CA Compensation:
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.