The Founder and Special Populations group at the RGC has 24 active collaborations and is exome sequencing >750,000 samples from founder and special populations from all over the world. The overall goal of this position is to conduct analyses of genetic and phenotype data in these diverse and understudied populations to obtain a deeper understanding of human biology and aging, identify novel therapeutic targets and seek indications for drug programs.
The successful candidate will: characterize the allelic architecture of founder populations, identify genes of potential interest through genotype-phenotype associations & other genetic approaches, harness internal & external data sources and bioinformatics approaches to better understand novel genetic findings, and work with the Analytical Genetics group to seek validation of associations in other RGC population resources, and the Translational Genetics, RGC Biology, and Therapeutic Focus Area groups to glean deeper insights into mechanisms & biology.
A day in the life may include the following responsibilties:
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of the Founder & Special Populations team, with other Regeneron teams, and with external collaborators
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and complete projects in a timely & reliable manner
- Catalog and interpret results of allelic architecture analyses in various founder and special populations
- Interpret results of genotype: phenotype association analyses from whole exome sequencing, and genome-wide genotype data
- Work with Analytical Genetics and Translational Genetics teams to validate potentially interesting findings in founder and other special populations by extending the analyses to other RGC study populations (ex. Geisinger DiscovEHR, UK Biobank)
- Apply biological insights, internal and external data sets, published literature and other resources, and bioinformatics to prioritize genetic discoveries in founder and other populations for functional follow-up
- Work with RGC Biology, Therapeutic Focus Area, and Early Clinical Development teams to nominate, design functional experiments and/or human call-back studies to follow-up on interesting hits
- Summarize and communicate study findings to the Founder and Special Populations team, RGC and Regeneron leadership, and internal and external collaborators
- Actively identify and engage potential new external collaborators with access to well-phenotyped founder and special populations
- Survey the literature and attend conferences to incorporate discoveries and findings from the broader genetics community into study opportunities and considerations internally
This job may be for you if you have the following:
- This position requires a PhD or MD with 6+ years of experience with a strong background in human disease and/or applied population genetics. MD is preferred.
- Some experience analyzing and interpreting whole exome sequencing and genome-wide genotyping studies (ex. variant level QC, statistical association analysis, and interpretation of association signals in complex disease)
- Experience with standard statistical approaches and tools (ex. regression, linear mixed models, PLINK, R) and some programming experience (ex. Linux, Python)
- Ability to summarize data and results to identify patterns, signals, and issues
- An understanding of biology to integrate and leverage diverse datasets to identify interesting variants, genes, and genotype-phenotype associations
- Experience with molecular characterization and functional studies geared towards elucidating gene functions and the mechanistic basis for genetic associations is a plus
Does this sound like you? Apply now to take your first steps toward living the Regeneron Way! We have an inclusive and diverse culture that provides amazing benefits including health and wellness programs, fitness centers and stock for employees at all levels!
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or belief (or lack thereof), sex, nationality, national or ethnic origin, civil status, age, citizenship status, membership of the Traveler community, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, familial status, marital or registered civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status, gender identity, gender reassignment, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process. Please contact us to discuss any accommodations you think you may need. #MDJOBS, #MDJOBSGG, #RGCTAG