Company Profile:Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX)
is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum pneumococcal conjugate vaccine being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-XP, a PCV with an expanded breadth of coverage of greater than 30 strains; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; and VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 100 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. On January 6, 2022, Vaxcyte announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had cleared the Investigational New Drug (IND) application for VAX-24, its lead vaccine candidate. The Company initiated the VAX-24 Phase 1/2 clinical proof-of-concept study in adults in the first quarter of 2022 and expects to announce Phase 2 topline immunogenicity, safety, and tolerability results by the end of the year. VAX-24 was designed to prevent IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-XP, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease.Summary:
Vaxcyte is looking for an energetic and talented Scientist to contribute to the Polysaccharide development and manufacturing group within the CMC team. Vaxcyte is developing a multi-valent polysaccharide-based conjugate vaccine, based on a novel carrier protein produced using the Xpress CF platform. Polysaccharides are a critical component in conjugate vaccines.
The candidate will have extensive knowledge and practical experience in analyzing and characterizing biomolecules. The responsibilities will be primarily to develop analytical methods and biophysical characterization assays, perform routine testing in support of formulation development and work with internal teams as well as CRO/CMO for polysaccharide analytical method tech transfer. This position is to support the polysaccharide team across all projects in the pipeline in all stages of development. In addition, Vaxcyte has relocated to San Carlos in late 2021, into custom designed, state of the art laboratories and working environment.
The candidate will work independently to develop analytical methods, perform analytical data review, authorship of protocols and reports, coordination, and oversight during assay transfer with the Vaxcyte QC team and external CMO partner groups.
- Analytical method development ready for transfer to the CRO.
- Routine analysis of internal process development samples and reporting of data.
- Characterization of polysaccharide.
- Development and implementation of new assays to the polysaccharide development group.
- Operation of key analytical equipment including HPLCs, gel stations, plate readers and automated liquid handlers.
- Evaluate and develop the most appropriate biophysical characterization tools to support polysaccharide development.
- Work with Vaxcyte AD/QC team, external analytical and manufacturing CMOs to enable tech transfer and implementation of processes and analytical methods.
- Potential for managerial responsibilities based on experience.
- BSc or MSc in Biotechnology, Chemistry, Biophysics or Biochemistry preferred, with >5 years of industrial experience; or PhD with >3 years of relevant experience.
- The candidate will have had experience in characterization of biomolecules.
- Experience of testing within GxP environments either directly or through CMOs.
- Strong experience in spectrometric methodologies, plate-based assays, immunoassay/ELISA, HPLC/UV and SEC/MALS, is required.
- Demonstrated experience in authoring analytical technical documents, including method protocols and SOPs, assay transfer and implementation lab protocols and reports.
- Participated in method transfers to external vendors and to internal collaborators.
- Strong scientific leadership is required: critical thinking, ability to present complex data sets and to independently propose and design follow-up experiments.
- The candidate should have high degrees of both flexibility and organizational skills as well as an eagerness and ability to learn in-order-to effectively navigates Vaxcyte’s multiple projects and timelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written formats (must be able to work with managerial and lab team in remote setting when needed) are necessary to collaborate effectively with the rest of the Polysaccharide and CMC teams
- Detail oriented, rigorous, and excellent skills in record keeping.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Director, Polysaccharide Development and Manufacturing Location:
San Carlos, CA Compensation:
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.